Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Info on riding the Florida Keys

I rented a house in Marathon Key in a few weeks and I'm driving down with my girlfriend and a few buddies for a week of riding. We're all pretty experienced riders and do lots of ocean riding up in New England so were looking to get out and explore and hopefully log some serious miles.

If anyone that is familiar with the area down there has any tips about places to ride, places not to ride, bars/restaurants that we can ride the jet ski's too, snorkeling places, beaches to check out, or anything else you can think of please feel free to share. We're looking to get in as much excitement as possible in the 6 days were there.

What dates are you going to be down? We got a hotel room marathon on July 19th till the 24th and are leaving PA on The 17th of july.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    More than happy to sit down with each of you and draw some lines on a map and go over any ?'s ya got..
    I will pm my cell number...I live in Long Key but food and tourist hunting is all done in Marathon each night..

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    More than happy to sit down with each of you and draw some lines on a map and go over any ?'s ya got..
    I will pm my cell number...I live in Long Key but food and tourist hunting is all done in Marathon each night..
    Just got your pm. I will shoot you a text later tonight.

+1
    Bring snorkeling gear and hit the reefs on the south side. use the buddy system, and make sure you drag a rope if you jump off the ski. It will drift away quick.

On the water parking is a premium at some restaurants and marinas, so map out several.

Bring something to cover your face. The sun reflecting off the coral is brutal. I wore a simms sungaiter last summer, and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Bring snorkeling gear and hit the reefs on the south side. use the buddy system, and make sure you drag a rope if you jump off the ski. It will drift away quick.

On the water parking is a premium at some restaurants and marinas, so map out several.

Bring something to cover your face. The sun reflecting off the coral is brutal. I wore a simms sungaiter last summer, and it works well.
    I have my snorkel gear and speargun packed. Is there a place to anchor or tie the skis up to out at the reefs?

+1
    I'm dragging my ski down to kw on the 19th for the week, will be looking for places to ride also, already plan to hook up with kwtony in summerland key... it would be cool to meet up with other skiis while down there also... keyzbum I may hit you up also for some local knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    I'm dragging my ski down to kw on the 19th for the week, will be looking for places to ride also, already plan to hook up with kwtony in summerland key... it would be cool to meet up with other skiis while down there also... keyzbum I may hit you up also for some local knowledge
    XXX2 I will shoot you my number. We will be there at the same time.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Don't forget to go to PWC TrailFinder. There's a Marathon loop, an Isla Morada loop, and at least one more Keys loop in the Florida section.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Main thing is to watch out for shallow grassy areas. stay way away from those areas. stay in the marked red and green channels The popo is not forgiving down there and they come out of no where and stop ya. If it says no wake and slow make sure you are doing it keysbum is a good source and great guy since he lives down there he has a bunch of local knowledge.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information