Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

01 SLX 1200 fixer upper

This is my first jet ski. Picked it up cheap and it needs some motor work as it does not start. It clicks but no dice.
    I read it could be faulty starter solenoid but believe I found the SLX to not have a starter solenoid.

Tried to turn the crank with a large wrench and pipe and it broke the shaft loose. It unscrews and crank still does not budge.

Looks less like a starter issue and more like like a seized motor. I guess i'll be researching how to go about pulling the motor.

Only picture I have of it right now is of a spot I buffed out to see how well it cleans up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-09 21.39.37.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	364878

I found the problem, piston 3 missing and cylinder destroyed. I assume these pistons do not disintegrate as it is missing. Since the seller said he didn't know what was wrong with it I think it is safe to say a missing piston makes him a shady seller.

I found a bunch of sand right under the cylinder outer cover. As this is my first time into a jet ski engine, where would this sand come from and is it the probable reason for engine failure? thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150713_212502.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	365233s

+1
    Wow. If you're still going to get this ski going, start pulling the motor OuT of the ski, as an ENTIRE rebuild is in order, crankshaft included. That sucks dude. Sorry someone wasn't straight up with you.

This wasn't suppose to be a long project but it looks like I will have to pull the entire motor. I'll have to do a bit more research to make sure I give everything attention that requires it so I don't end up blowing up the motor again.

The other two pistons on intact.

+1
    Get a new engine from SBT. Great company and it is easier to do than you would think. Take lots of pictures as you disassemble and put bolts in baggies that are marked which component they came from. 20 seconds of time up front can save hours on the back end. Reassemble in the exact opposite order you took it apart in. After you are done you pretty much have a new ski with a two year warranty. A couple of days of work and bam you will be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by 48Straight View Post
    Get a new engine from SBT. Great company and it is easier to do than you would think. Take lots of pictures as you disassemble and put bolts in baggies that are marked which component they came from. 20 seconds of time up front can save hours on the back end. Reassemble in the exact opposite order you took it apart in. After you are done you pretty much have a new ski with a two year warranty. A couple of days of work and bam you will be riding.
    SBT huh. I'll check them out. Once I get my latest ATV project sold and out the door I'll get to pull the motor. Depending on how the bottom end looks will determine if I go the whole engine buy route. Thanks

+1
    IMHO their engines are very competitive with rebuilding one your self. By the time you take everything down to the local machine shop, order parts, get parts etc, etc you are very close to having a guaranteed engine. Throw a repair budget together and I bet you will get the SBT with a two year warranty. I dont work for them but I have purchased two engines from them.

+1

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Actually, if you do all of the disassembly and reassembly of the motor yourself, then send out the cylinders to be bored, and have a crank rebuilt, you can build a better motor for cheaper than SBT. That 2 year warranty costs money. Just look at the price difference between the 1 year warranty motor and the 2 year warranty motor.

Well from the looks of that one destroyed cylinder, I'm going to have to purchase another cylinder entirely. Boring and honing I can do myself. I just hope the crank hasn't been sitting with a bunch of moisture. I've never rebuilt one of these smaller cranks, with roller bearings? but there's a first time for everything!

I am handy around hand tools and machine tools but I depend on sites like these when I get into something new. Thanks for the replies and the options guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information