Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

slx 1200 problems! I have had it.

Long story and yes I have searched this site many times. My 2000 slx seems to have a few issues. It bogs down horribly after starting when I try to give it gas. It then seems to clear itself and takes off. Once running it seems to go fine but as soon as I let off the throttle it dies. Then it is difficult to restart. I know it went into limp mode a few days ago but I have reset the mfd and the rpms reach over 6000 when running. Here is what I have done so far. Replaced all fuel lines, cleaned the carbs (they were spotless), did the tsb on warm restarts and cleaned out the fuel bowl and screen (which was also very clean). I am about ready to get rid of it!! I also replaced the plug wires a few years ago. When the ski is out of the water it starts with one touch of the button and revs up fine but is terrible in the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also noticed that when the ski is off and i press the throttle fuel squirts out of the little brass fittings on the top of the carb. Is this normal? seems strange to me.

+1
    The fuel squirting is normal. Those are accelerator pumps to help the low speed fuel circuit on takeoff. It sounds like you're saying that on land with no load on the motor everything seems normal, but not under load in the water? Will it idle in the water? If not, what rpm does it idle at out of the water? Are you certain it's running on all 3 cylinders? Any spongy or leaking exhaust hoses? Sometimes the exhaust hoses will deteriorate on the inside and cause issues. Long shot, but hey.

It idles fine in the water, a little low but I can fix that. All exhaust hoses have been checked and seem fine. After testing it today I took the seat off immediately after it stalled and no signs of exhaust. I have also check compression on all 3 cylinder and they are all identical at about 135. Not sure if its running on 2 or 3 cyl. How can I check?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason3814 View Post
    It idles fine in the water, a little low but I can fix that. All exhaust hoses have been checked and seem fine. After testing it today I took the seat off immediately after it stalled and no signs of exhaust. I have also check compression on all 3 cylinder and they are all identical at about 135. Not sure if its running on 2 or 3 cyl. How can I check?
    Run it from cold for 10-15 seconds on the trailer, idle speeds. Shut it off, then use your hand to compare cylinder temperatures. All three should feel about the same heat.

In the water is similar, but the flow of cooling water through the engine water jackets means it takes more heat for you to be able to tell. A quick ride around would be enough, then stop engine, lift seat (or have it off already) and hand check engine temperatures.

Even after running hard the engine should not get so hot you cannot touch it.

I will try it right now.

I just ran it for a bit out of the water and after 15 sec or so all three cylinders read between 104 and 106 on my temp gun.

I am probably going to rip the carbs off again and check the reeds. I should have done this before but oh well. Do you think a carb rebuild could eliminate the problem? I am so close to selling it that I do not know if I want to spend the $115 on 3 rebuild kits. However, I will not get much for a poorly running ski. Ugh.

I just bypassed the on/off selector and the fuel bowl to see if that helps at all. I will take it to a local lake soon to see what happens.

+1
    Another longshot but have you checked the timing... I believe it's 23 degrees at 3,000
    I had a twin 700 that acted similar and it was low speed screws, did you remove them to A, make sure they were not damaged and B to make sure they didn't have some debri stuck in low speed circuit.
    Did the pump diagrams look to be in good shape (not stretched out)
    good luck... Lots of knowledge here, these guys are good!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    were the black snake like black plastic pieces in the carbs?idle is 1300 in the waterwhat happens if you leave the gas cap loose just a hair?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information