Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

+1

Newbie with STX 1100-What Have I Gotten Into?

I'm totally new to PWC other than renting one to ride a couple years ago but my father-in-law was able to get me this ski and trailer for free. The good is it looks to be in decent condition. The bad is it's been sitting outside(under cover) because the last owner put a hole in the block. I am told I have everything except the shortblock. I'm trying to figure out what it's going to cost me to get this back on the water and is it worth it. I have 2 great places to ride so it would be a blast to have but I don't want to put $2000 into a $1500 ski or whatever this is worth. I'm plenty mechanically inclined so I don't mind doing the labor.

Can I get any general tips on things or parts to look for? Any big ticket parts I will need that might be missing? What you see in the pictures below is what I've got.

Any recommendations on getting a shortblock? Things to look for? I've seen a couple on ebay in the $800-900 range. Is that a reasonable price. I was really hoping to not put more than $1000 into this and I know there will be other misc expenses in addition to the shortblock.

+1
    Complete and running well, they are worth about $2000. As you have found, a complete motor is going to run you about $900, if you can find a nice one (I'm looking too for mine) but for $1000 I can have PWCEngines build me one and it has a two year warranty. You don't have that luxury as your engine is missing. You are going to have to buy a used motor if you want to get it back in the water, or you can try and part it out and buy something different.

+1
    Welcome aboard, UnorthodoxCreations!

That looks just like the '98 I bought a few years ago, except mine didn't come with the front cover for the engine.

I bought a good running engine on Ebay for $1100, which included carbs and exhaust system. The problem is that there are always little pieces you don't think about that you end up needing that run the cost up. Hoses, nuts & bolts, seals & gaskets, flame arrestor tubes, oil lines, the instrument display, etc.

Fixed up, it's probably worth $2000, maybe a little more.

I like the STXs because they're reasonably quick, very stable, and simple enough for novice riders.

I would look for a complete engine (less accessories) on Ebay. Don't get in a hurry and you'll eventually find a decent deal. I would avoid SBT because they use cheap parts, and they run an exchange service--you have to send back a core engine.

If it were mine, I'd fix it. I'm sure you could get your money back out of it if you decide you don't want it. The red finish on those wasn't very good quality, they all faded. A couple hours with some rubbing compound and a buffer will help a lot if you decide to sell it.

+1
    Thanks guys. I'm going to keep my eyes open and see if I can find an engine for a reasonable price. I'm anxious to try and get it running asap as we are headed to the in-laws house on the water in the middle of August. I need to talk to my wife and see how much she's willing to spend. We were both ok at $1000 but it looks like it might take a little more than that.

Any tips on where I can identify the year of this? I'm guessing it's a 98+ because the front cowl isn't black. I'm getting paperwork from the owner but don't have that yet.

Is there a year/model range that has compatible engines I can source from? Is the D.I. shortblock the same or is that different?

Do people block off the oil pre-mix on these skis or is that not really done or necessary?
    Last edited by UnorthodoxCreations; 07-09-2015 at 02:33 PM.

+1
    Any issues with putting a '96 ZXI1100 engine in my '98+? STX?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnorthodoxCreations View Post
    That's exactly what I did, but I put the later CV carbs on it. I used the oil injection and replaced the hoses.

That's a '99, based on the decals. You can confirm by looking at the hull identification number.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UnorthodoxCreations View Post
    That's exactly what I did, but I put the later CV carbs on it. I used the oil injection and replaced the hoses.

That's a '99, based on the decals. You can confirm by looking at the hull identification number.
    Great. I've got a lead on that engine so I'll see if I can get it. I have my carbs and such so I would reuse them. From my research the cv carbs seem to be the way to go.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    cv carbs NOT the way to go

see the pm I sent

+1
    The problem with the old carbs is that they used an accelerator pump on the 1100 cc engines. Parts for the accelerator pump are no longer available.

The CV carbs are not as 'adjustable' as the others, but mine work fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    cv carbs NOT the way to go
    I'm open to other options but I've got to work with what I have and I am on somewhat of a budget. I'm not looking to race or be the fastest by any means. I'm just looking for a fun and reliable ride for family and friends.

I'm picking up a good engine this weekend. At that point I'll have a lot better idea if I'm missing anything else. I know I'll need a battery and I'm sure I'll need a number of gaskets. Are there any other parts I should definitely replace while installing the engine?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information