Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

+1

Sea doo spark issues

I've been a big supporter of the Sea Doo Spark since it came out. I have sent four friends who were not into PWC, out to purchase Sparks all with Sea Doo Move trailers. Sea Doo promotes like **** through Facebook, and I've always posted positive responses to people who were either looking to purchase one or people who bash it. Previous to the Spark I've basically had all Yamaha products, and was always told how Sea Doo reliability is on the iffy side, and that their customer service is terrible. I hate to say it, but those people were right. I had a poor experience when I first bought it, but that was the dealers fault... They didn't install my boarding step, and never gave me my fire extinguisher, etc that was paid for. This dealer was out of state, so I couldn't just drive back, so I contacted Sea Doo when I first purchased the Ski seeing if they would help work something out with getting the step installed, they basically said pound sand. I brushed that tiny issue off and didn't let it effect how I thought of the brand.

Within the first few hours on my Spark, the handle bars started to have alot of play in them, and thoughts of them breaking off were always in the back of my head. I contacted the dealer, and Sea Doo a few times about my concern, and they said they have to break in order for them to be replaced.... Yikes... Possibly cause inquiry or death to someone, then we will repair it... Awesome.

Over this past weekend, during a turn the steering completely stopped working, causing me to fly off and smash my head and body on the front of the ski. Luckily no major inquiry, just bruises, cuts in my mouth, and a shoulder and back that ache like ****. The Ski didn't hit anything either which was a plus I suppose... My bars didn't break, something in the steering broke... After that happened, I realized someone is going to get killed on one of these. During a different situation, my issue could have easily killed someone. The fact the replacement bars are cracking off still, and I would bet I'm not the only person who has had the steering completely fail. Sea Doo needs to engineer a better solution, and if someone gets killed over the issue I've had and I didn't speak up I would feel awful.

I contacted Sea Doo, and told them I would be a fool to ever get back on this thing, even with whatever part failed replaced, as it will just happen again. I'm an engineer so I might look at things different than the average consumer who doesn't understand the mechanical aspects. I tried to possibly work out some deal, where they could have given me a fair trade in for my Ski, and I would have paid more for a ski that has been in the market place for awhile with no known faults that will end up seriously inquiring or killing someone. They basically told me to pound sand and contact my dealer to have them look at it for the warranty...... They didn't care when I tried having my bars replaced when they were loose, they wanted them to break to even do anything, and now the thing has a major fault and they just want to replace it with the same part.... I've owned many skis over the years and this is the first major fault I've ever had, and BRP by far has the worst customer service in any industry. My dealer was closed on Mon, so I dropped it off yesterday, and they are back logged with warranty work.. (Shocker?) so it will be 10-12 days before they look at it....

This stinks because I love the fuel economy of the spark, and being small it's nice and nimble like 90s skis. But the fact my bars have been getting worse since new and they won't replace them unless they break, and the steering cutting out and no longer working causing me to wreck, has left me not wanting to get back on it. If someone else was in my shoes they would probably feel the same way... Considering brp simply pushes issues off on the dealers is bad business, very unprofessional. It's left a sour taste in my mouth.

Keep an eye on your bars, and look at all of your steering components guys. It's one thing to wreck while getting carried away, but to have something fail and make you wreck is incredibly frightening.

I'm sure the dealer will have it fixed up soon enough. It's not a common problem so it may take them some time to figure it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormacs View Post
    I'm sure the dealer will have it fixed up soon enough. It's not a common problem so it may take them some time to figure it out.

Yes I'm hoping it's not a common issue, just posting this to raise awareness of brp awful customer service, and to double check your steering components. It's good the bars were recalled, but mine and four friends all have tons of play in our bars and I know others have posted the same issue online. I'm not trying to turn this into a debate, simply giving real world problems that I've seen first hand. Issues with the bars and steering issues could lead to some nasty results in the right situations. I'm wishing i purchased something less fragile, none of my previous pwc have ever had any safety issues.

A lot of people in here would dispute the "fragile" comment.

+1
    A lot of people in here would dispute the "fragile" comment.

Considering you instantly respond to my to my thread here and on the other site, I will lump you into the "fan boy" crowd, where anything negative said you will dispute no mater what. Similar to when someone abuses them, but they make excuses for the person.

Sure my spark has seen waves and the hull never cracked, I'm saying the handlebars are fragile, and even it slightly tapping into docks, and loading it onto the trailer make it more fragile than a fiberglass style pwc. The spark easily gets bumped and bruised on the plastic bits. I've owned probably 10 pwc over the years. Obviously the spark has upsides, I purchased one.

You obviously don't get it. You have what we call in the business "buyers remorse". You have offered nothing to substantiate your claims about other people having these issues. You didn't get the answer you wanted from the other forum so your trying this one.

Sea doo spark issues

I always measure something's faults by the number of people that have the same issues. You are so far one of none. We get it your steering stopped working, get it fixed. When it becomes an issue then we can start worrying about it.

+1
    I think the first thing BRP would/should have asked you is for serial number to make sure your Spark was not one that needed or already received the steering recall. Strange they never asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    I think the first thing BRP would/should have asked you is for serial number to make sure your Spark was not one that needed or already received the steering recall. Strange they never asked.
    It's not the same issue. His bars didn't break off. The steering just stopped working.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    It's not the same issue. His bars didn't break off. The steering just stopped working.
    Right...but he had contacted the dealer and BRP about extra play in the handlebars before his actual incident. One would think that they would run a check on an actual factory recall concerning the area of complaint he was having.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information