Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2 days 600 miles

We made this trip June 26th and 27th. 600 miles in 2 days. Morgan city Louisiana to Grand Isle to Venice to Biloxi Mississippi and back. We traveled the coast on the trip to Biloxi. On the return trip we ran the coast back to Port Fourchon and then ducked in to Bayou Lafourche and ran it to the ICW. We ran the ICW to Amelia where we were picked up. We traveled 290 miles and 11 hours on day one and 310 miles and 13 hours on day 2.
    I was on a 2015 GTR with a 12 Gallon Moeller tank strapped on the back. I can hold almost 14 gallons in the Moeller tank. It was piped into the main tank through a bulkhead fitting I added to the fuel pump assemble. I blocked off the vent in the fuel cap so it would siphon the gas as I ran. Before the trip I had 22 hours on the ski, when we finished it had 41. Andy Wise came along for the trip, and he rode a 2012 NA GTX. He was going to ride his 2011 TX, but he picked up the GTX cheep a few months ago, and it had proven to be a reliable boat with good fuel consumption, so he chose to ride the non supercharged ski. He carried 2 5 gallon cans on the back. We never ran out of fuel, but we did arrive at gas stops on the buzzer a few times.
    I plotted several routes on Google earth and transferred them to my Garmin Montana and a backup GPS. I plotted routes that followed the coast on the outside for calm days and inside routes for windy days. This worked well for most of the trip, but there were a few spots where we had to improvise.
    We hit the water at the Intracoastal launch in Berwick at 8:30 am on Friday. We ran the Atchafalaya river to Four League Bay. We took a left into Blue Hammock Bayou and ran a few marsh canals until we were north of Isle Derniere. We stopped for a few minutes so Andy could dump some gas and then we headed South again. We cut across to the islands and ran just inside of Isle Derniere and then Timbalier Island. We ran through a rain shower, and it was a little choppy, but nothing serious. We were able to stay on the north side of the islands and sand bars, so the water wasn’t too rough. We ran past Fourchon and then ran along the beach to Grand Isle. It was 12:00 when we fueled at bridgeside marina. We only stopped long enough to fill up and grab a drink as we idled out to the channel. We ran behind Grand Isle, and then ran outside of the islands along the coast and then into the pass to Venice. The gulf was rough, with no uniformity, and no rhythm. It was a tough run, and we got beat up most of the way. We made it to Venice Marina around 3:00. We fueled there, and then ate lunch at Cypress Cove. From there we ran up the river. We passed a couple freighters, and caught up to a Daybrook boat headed to Empire. We ran up the Mississippi as far as Buras. We hooked a right and headed back out into the gulf. We followed the coast for a couple miles until it got rough. We then ducked into the marsh and ran a couple narrow canals and pipelines. We had to cross a few shallow bays that were choppy, but nothing bad. We made it to the Biloxi Marsh in about 3.5 hours. From there we ran to Cat Island and then to Gulfport. Crossing the Biloxi Sound was rough. We took our time, but we still got beat up. We made it to Biloxi small craft harbor at around 7:30. We had a slip reserved, and I had called while we were in Venice to make sure we were still on the list. The Harbor Master saw us when we pulled in, and pointed us to a slip. We tied up the boats and checked into the Best Western across from the Beau Rivage, ate dinner and then that was it for day 1. We traveled a total of 290 miles in 11 hours.
    When we woke up on Saturday morning and the wind was howling out of the south. The forecast called for a max of 14 mph, but it was probably twice that. We walked to the harbor, fueled our skis and extra tanks and pulled out at 7:30. We could have called for a ride, or ran the coast to New Orleans and got picked up there, but we decided to finish what we started. We ran west along the coast to Gulfport and then turned south towards Cat Island. The Gulf was like a washing machine. No rhythm and the waves were white capping and coming from every direction. It took us 3 hours to make it to the Biloxi Marsh. The rough water also caused us to burn a significant amount of fuel. I couldn’t tell what I had burned because I was running on my remote tank, but Andy only had 3 bars left. We stopped just long enough for him to dump all but about 2 gallons out of his spare tanks into his GTX. We ran the inside path all the way to the river. We only stopped a few times to check our location and how much further we had to go. It took us over 5 hours to travel the 140 miles to Venice. I burned 26 gallons of fuel. We left Venice a little after 1:00. We planned to run the inside to Grand Isle and this worked well until we reached an area on the west side of Bastian Island. We were running fine and making great time cutting through the narrow bayous and crossing shallow bays. We ran through a short pipeline canal where my GPS route went north, but I decided to cut the corner and continue south. This was a bad idea because it ended with my ski sitting in less than 3” of water. Being the lead ski, I was about 50 yards into the shallow water. Andy was able to stop short, and we pushed his ski into deep water. We pulled out some tow rope, and pulled my ski back into deep water. We only lost 20 or 30 minutes, so we were still OK. We got back on track, picked up speed, turned a corner, and my ski hit bottom and skidded and stopped about 100 yards from anything more than shin deep. Again, Andy stopped short, and we were able to push his ski to knee deep water. We knew we were in trouble when we tried to find deep water around my ski, and realized we would have to move it at least 50 yards before we could even get a rope on it. And I had over 200’ of rope. We couldn’t budge the ski by hand, so we had to use the method I perfected on the Atchafalaya delta. We leaned the ski over to get the grate off the sand, cranked it up, revved it a little and let the pump wash eat away some sand. And by eat, I mean eat all the oyster shells, sand, mud, etc… that the pump could suck up. We dredged a channel behind the ski and moved it backwards 10’ at a time. We got stuck the first time at 2:30, and now we were hoping to be unstuck by 4:00. We got both boats back to deep water and continued slowly checking the depth as we went. We made it less than a mile, we cut into a bayou that was supposed to lead to Baratarria bay and then Grand Isle, but it didn’t happen. I was stuck again. One more time we had to wash a channel to get my ski out. After this we were both hurting and dead tired. Pulling skis around in the sand takes a lot of energy. We made it to the bay, and ran through a decent chop to Grand Isle. We made it to Bridgeside for 5:00. We knew we were running late and would be racing darkness to finish the trip. We decided that a route back through Bayou Lafourche and the ICW was our best option. We ran the coast to Fourchon, and we fueled again at 6:45 in Leeville. We ran Bayou Lafourche as fast as Andy’s NA GTX could. We only slowed down for the bridges. One bridge had to partially open, and we barely made it through a small opening on the side of one of the floating bridges. We made it to the ICW at 7:30. It was cloudy so it got dark quick and we didn’t have time to make it all the way to the Berwick launch. I phoned a friend, and we were picked up at the Amelia landing at 8:20. But not until Andy ran out of gas just as we turned into the Amelia cut. His GTX ran wide open for 77 miles with a rider, and 10 gallons of gas strapped on the back.
    This trip was not a walk in the park. The clock was against us the entire trip. We only stopped to fuel and hydrate, no sightseeing, no strolls on the beach, no searching for seashells. Most of the water we crossed was rough, and had no rhythm, so we got beat up most of the trip. We figured it was about 70% getting your ass kicked, and 30% knowing you were about to get your ass kicked. I filmed most of the trip with a wrist mounted Gopro. I stopped filming the second time I got stuck on day 2. That is when the trip went from tough to not knowing if we were going to make Grand Isle before dark. Looking back, that would have been some of the best parts of the video; both boats in less than 6” of water and leaning sideways several times, hauling ass from grand isle down the beach to Fourchon, running Bayou Lafourche at 55+ mph, sneaking under the bridges, passing the barges in the ICW when it was almost pitch black, and pulling into Amelia well after dark.
    It was a fun trip. I would do it again, but I would pick a weekend with better weather. The howling wind and white caps added additional challenges. Hopefully I will have the video finished in a couple of days. It won't be very exciting. A lot of riding shots, not much sightseeing. No white sand or clear blue water. I will post a link to it when its up.

Link to the Video. Best in 720 or 1080

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	364713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	364714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	364715  
    Last edited by Pacer; 08-17-2015 at 05:03 PM.

+1
    Outstanding report! Thanks for sharing the fun, excitement, and misery. Finally, congrats: 300 miles in a day is no short order - to turn around and do it again - wow!

+1
    Epic Pacer. Thanks for sharing. Subscribed for the video. This has "Watercraft Journal" written all over it !!!

+1
    Wow! That's one awesome and adventurous trip! Gave me some much needed motivation. Thanks for sharing!

+1
    Wow, sounds like a great adventure.

+1

You win. But do it with a female next time and you'll be my hero for life.

+1
    +1 for SeaDonkey. Pull that stunt off and I'll award the PWC / Rolling Pin Over the Head combo trophy.

+1
    Let's do it Wade!

9. +1 by:

+1
    That's just awesome, thanks for sharing. Would love to say I would have loved to have been part of a trip like that, but everyone that knows me well would tell you Billy would have cried like a baby when you hit that shallow water and use the jet pump to dredged a channel Take that prop, wear ring and hull. Lol, well once again sounds like you all had a hell of a adventure. Can't wait to see what you all plan next time.

Billy D

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-keeps View Post
    but everyone that knows me well would tell you Billy would have cried like a baby when you hit that shallow water and use the jet pump to dredged a channel Take that prop, wear ring and hull.
    Billy D
    It was not my first or second choice to use my 2015 ski to dig its own channel. It was my only choice. It was lying on its side like it was on a rack at a boat show. We put our backs into it and didn't budge it an inch. I would have needed 500' of rope to get it to Andy's ski in deep water. His ski was floating 300 yards away, but in less than a foot of water. It was mostly sand....... and some shells. I'm sure that incident scrubbed off a few mph. It was either that, or wait for the tide which would have meant a long night.

That was the point where Andy said "If your trail goes that way, and we can't go that way, where are we gonna go when we get off of here?" I replied "one problem at a time Andy"

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information