2003 Polaris Genesis I - Reverse Slow Mode Stuck

I have a 2003 Polaris Genesis I, when you have it running and push the reverse button it goes into reverse and the rev limiter activates like it should. However when you push the button to go forward it will not release the rev limiter until you stop the engine and restart it. The trim gauge works and the red light stops blinking, but it does not release the rev limiter. Does the engine RPM have to be returned to idle to release the rev limiter like the S.L.O.W. mode? Wondering if it is not sensing it is idling and so it does not release the rev limiter till you stop the engine and restart? Anyone know how to test if the EMM is sensing the engine is idling? Any other ideas what the issue might be? Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    I have a 2003 Polaris Genesis I, when you have it running and push the reverse button it goes into reverse and the rev limiter activates like it should. However when you push the button to go forward it will not release the rev limiter until you stop the engine and restart it. The trim gauge works and the red light stops blinking, but it does not release the rev limiter.

Does the engine RPM have to be returned to idle to release the rev limiter like the S.L.O.W. mode?

Wondering if it is not sensing it is idling and so it does not release the rev limiter till you stop the engine and restart? Anyone know how to test if the EMM is sensing the engine is idling? Any other ideas what the issue might be? Thanks!
    Going from memory, the throttle must be released before the Reverse RPM limiter is released.

The EMM looks for the signal from the TPS to drop into a voltage range that the EMM accepts as 'idle position'.

Check that the throttle cable has a tiny amount of slack when the throttle lever is released.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if the K447's advice doesn't resolve it, it's possible that the rube Goldberg esque switch assembly in the reverse box has been compromised by water and acting funky.

If you can reach it, remove the cover, do NOT touch anything and spray the entire area with wd-40, then cycle the reverse gate a couple of times and do it again with the 40

now before we get to that, it might be possible that the thrust is preventing the gate from reaching its final position.

I'd take the ski out and try it with hands off the throttle ( check for the requisite slack before heading out)

the reverse system won't take a whole lot of -to the rev limit- thrusting

reverse is fairly useless anyway, most of the time it will push stuff up into the jetpump and of limited use elsewhere from what I've seen.

oh yeah....welcome to GH!

There is a tiny amount of slack when the throttle lever is released. Is there any other way to adjust the idle? It does seem like it idles a little fast. Would changing plugs help?

I don't think the problem is in the reverse box, because I can hit the stop button and then start it again and it will run full speed every time. If it was in the reverse box I don't think stopping and starting the engine would make any difference.

+1
    There is a tiny amount of slack when the throttle lever is released. Is there any other way to adjust the idle? It does seem like it idles a little fast.

Would changing plugs help?
    Press the Display button on the MFI to show engine RPM in digits across the bottom. A Ficht engine should idle right at 1150 RPM in or out of the water.

You can start and run a cold engine on the trailer without water for 20 seconds or more. Enough time to cycle the Reverse bucket down and back up two or three times for testing.

If engine thrust is preventing the reverse bucket from rising completely then shutting of the engine might allow the bucket to finish rising.

On the trailer, look at the reverse bucket in the full forward position. Is the bucket bottom edge entirely clear and above the jet pump nozzle?

There is only one wire (Gray/Red) from the reverse assembly that signals the Reverse warning on the MFI and the same wire signals the EMM to activate RPM limiting. Not sure how the EMM can think reverse is engaged yet the display does not. Perhaps water or corrosion in the switch assembly on the reverse motor?

The Ficht engines require specific NGK spark plugs, no substitutes. I cannot image how spark plugs would cause reverse mode to stay engaged.

I hesitate to suggest a hack, but here it is;
    Find the four pin 'chassis' connector. There will be four wire colors, Gray/Red, Yellow, Brown, Black/Yellow. The Gray/Red wire in this connector delivers the Reverse limit signal to the main EMM module. Remove the wire/pin for Gray/Red wire from either side of the connector and tape it aside. Now the EMM will not know about reverse and should provide full throttle power at all times. It would then be up to the rider to know not to use excessive power in reverse. Flow some dielectric grease into the empty wire hole to keep moisture out.

Out of the water I started it and the RPMs varied between 2,650 and 3,000.

+1
    Out of the water I started it and the RPMs varied between 2,650 and 3,000.
    This is with the throttle in idle position?

Something is wrong if the idle is that high.

Check the TPS installation on the rear end of the throttle body. There is a coil spring on the TPS shaft that must be correctly installed. The spring is supposed to apply mild pressure to turn the TPS towards idle position. It is easy to install the TPS with the spring incorrectly positioned.

Do not over tighten the TPS mounting bolts.

I am fairly confident the spring is correctly installed. There is always a little tension on the spring even with throttle at idle. Pull trigger and it gets more tension, release trigger spring returns it to starting position.

I unplugged the TPS sensor like I saw in a different post and it idles at approx. 1,200 RPM. Is the issue most likely a bad TPS sensor then? If it was bad it would tell the EMM to have the injectors provide more fuel than the throttle is actually calling for. Do those sensors go bad very often?

+1
    I am fairly confident the spring is correctly installed. There is always a little tension on the spring even with throttle at idle. Pull trigger and it gets more tension, release trigger spring returns it to starting position.

I unplugged the TPS sensor like I saw in a different post and it idles at approx. 1,200 RPM. Is the issue most likely a bad TPS sensor then?

If it was bad it would tell the EMM to have the injectors provide more fuel than the throttle is actually calling for. Do those sensors go bad very often?
    The original factory installed TPS sensors do fail over time. More so with the pre-2002 non-pigtail versions, but the pigtail style can also fail.

To be clear, the signal from the TPS to the EMM is the throttle. The motion or position of the throttle lever on the handlebar and the rotation of the throttle body shaft is unknown to the EMM. All it knows about is the position signal from the TPS.

Unlike a carburetor engine, the Ficht system does not depend upon restriction of air flow into the engine to control idle. In fact, the throttle plates have big holes that allow plenty of air to get into the engine even at idle.

Thread Information