1995 GTX 650x fuel issue?

Hey I am new to the Sea-Doo community, and I just bought a 1995 Sea Doo GTX and GTS . Both ran great the day I tested them, but took the GTX out to the lake two days later and it was fine for the first 10 minutes, but then started to loose power at WOT and would die. Took it home, and replaced all tempo fuel lines, cleaned both carb filters, replaced plugs, drained the gas tank and added new fuel. Eventually got it started with a little starter fluid and it ran great for the first 5 minutes and then began to loose power again and died. Now it will crank but not turn over. Both plugs have a good spark and the fuel flows easily from the tank. Any Ideas? Does it need the full carb rebuild? Thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it's 20 years old.

Think the carbs can use a freshup?

lose the starter fluid. If it was in the ski when you got it the engine might have some damage

if the engine cranks but doesn't start, check the engine compression, if you don't have a gauge, ground the plug leads, take out both plugs and put your thumb over the plug hole and crank the engine. You should get a hard push on your thumb. Try the other hole, should be the same. check that the pulse line is clamped at both ends. Confirm the pulse line doesn't leak. Put a teaspoon of gas in each jug, screw the plugs in and try to start her up.
    I would not go thru the trouble of taking a carb apart and not replacing all the bits, especially on something 20 years old.

it's not looking good at the moment that you can't get the engine to start. Often that is rotary valve damage.

welcome to GH.

When did the fuel work, I only took off one side of the carburetors, the one with the small cylindrical filter since I didn't have the rebuild kit, but it didn't look very dirty. Did the compression check and the rear cylinder was at 55 and the front 90. Put a bit of gas in each cylinder and it fired a few times but didn't start. Looking kind of grim, what's the next move?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    engine needs repair, compression is too low. It appears that the engine suffered a seizure. sorry.

given the age of he skis, you need to make some hard choices about repair or a different ski.

repairs can easily run over $500 and in many cases a whole bunch more as you start finding things.

5. +1 by:

Yeah, damn that'll be a tough choice. Thank you for the feedback

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    engine needs repair, compression is too low. It appears that the engine suffered a seizure. sorry.

given the age of he skis, you need to make some hard choices about repair or a different ski.

repairs can easily run over $500 and in many cases a whole bunch more as you start finding things.
    Doing that to a couple craigslist bought skis for a customer right now. He got a "great" deal on them. $800 dollars later They still need cosmetic work and one still needs an electrical part.

Thread Information