Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does turning the cooling bar 180 help save number 1 SLX1200 ??

Just curious. I smoked the front hole, have read that this helps keep number one cooler.. What is the reason number 1 gets hotter then the rest, does this have any ill affects on the other cylinders when turning the cooling bar ? I am doing a fresh top end and want this thing right this time around,.,.

John
    Last edited by Fenderjack; 07-07-2015 at 04:39 PM.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I would not do that. The holes all have different sizes in them for controlling water flow. Have you checked your thermostat and popoff for proper operation? The things that will save cylinder number 1 include: Carbs in tip top shape, ensuring the engine has no air leaks, proper fuel, proper timing, etc.

+1
    Does the SLX 1200 come with the mag cover water jacket? If not, putting one of those on will help remove heat from the front cylinder. I put one on my 1200 and it was a very noticeable temp drop. Front cylinder has to deal with extra heat off the magneto.

Cheers!

Mr Matrix, this engine was running spot on till the other day, then it seemed to go to hell. Literally fire on half a revolution.. I did not know if it was a hiccup in the oil injection ( not going to use it this time around ) that cause this or what. The plugs looked perfect when I initially checked them when I bought the ski.. Number one hole was down a touch on comp when I bought it, so it could have been a issue there.. The ski got ran decent over this weekend. I ma not sure how long the plugs ( 9's ) were in there, i did not know it used the 8's so 1 heat range could have cause this also.. All the water passages look fantastic on jugs. I just want it right when it goes back together. I also would like to add a pisser to def let me know it is getting water.. I will add this to the later part of the exhaust system.

Can you elaborate on the water jacket you speak of ? This the first Polaris ski i have ever had.. Not versed in them at all. Thanks
    John

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderjack View Post
    ... have read that this helps keep number one cooler.. What is the reason number 1 gets hotter then the rest, does this have any ill affects on the other cylinders when turning the cooling bar ? ...
    There is more to it than just changing the orientation of the water manifold.

TXpro1200 posted some good info on modifying the water flow to reduce cooling flow to the PTO cylinder, thereby increasing flow to the MAG cylinder.

The exhaust manifold on the red engines has an extra cooling water flow feed into the bottom rear of the manifold. This connection is there to allow the water to drain out for storage. It has the side effect of increased PTO cylinder cooling, which by definition means the ratio of cooling compared to the MAG cylinder is different.

There is more than one version of the water manifold. The sizes of the three holes on the bottom varies. There is also a high flow version that has a larger opening for the pressure bypass valve beside the thermostat.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Mr Matrix, this engine was running spot on till the other day, then it seemed to go to hell. Literally fire on half a revolution.. I did not know if it was a hiccup in the oil injection ( not going to use it this time around ) that cause this or what. The plugs looked perfect when I initially checked them when I bought the ski.. Number one hole was down a touch on comp when I bought it, so it could have been a issue there.. The ski got ran decent over this weekend. I ma not sure how long the plugs ( 9's ) were in there, i did not know it used the 8's so 1 heat range could have cause this also.. All the water passages look fantastic on jugs. I just want it right when it goes back together. I also would like to add a pisser to def let me know it is getting water.. I will add this to the later part of the exhaust system.
    Your issue was definitely a lean burn /fuel issue. Look at all of the things i mentioned. Cooling would not cause what you are seeing. Oil injection failure would not cause that either. Lack of oil would seize the motor in very short order.

The right fuel and plugs is a start. Get into those carbs and check them out. Do you have the grey tempo fuel lines? If you do, they need to go.

Leak test that motor as well. Air leaks make things go lean.

+1
    Mr Matrix, this engine was running spot on till the other day, then it seemed to go to hell. Literally fire on half a revolution.. I did not know if it was a hiccup in the oil injection ( not going to use it this time around ) that cause this or what. The plugs looked perfect when I initially checked them when I bought the ski.. Number one hole was down a touch on comp when I bought it, so it could have been a issue there.. The ski got ran decent over this weekend. I'm not sure how long the plugs ( 9's ) were in there, i did not know it used the 8's so 1 heat range could have cause this also.. All the water passages look fantastic on jugs. I just want it right when it goes back together. I also would like to add a pisser to def let me know it is getting water.. I will add this to the later part of the exhaust system.
    NGK 9's are 1 step COLDER of a spark plug than NGK 8's, NOT hotter.

Ok will check that link out for sure, thank you. I do not know why I thought the 9's were hotter.. As in oil pump malfunction,. I mean maybe the oil line to that carb was pinched or some how dirt go into it there and not let it geed oil to that carb.. Can i get to the crank seal with out pulling that engine ? Thanks

+1
    Can you elaborate on the water jacket you speak of ? This the first Polaris ski i have ever had.. Not versed in them at all. Thanks
    John
    Easier to show a picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris-pwc-mag-covers.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	364675

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information