1995 SLX oil injection discussion

Picked up this ski about a month an a half ago. I only paid 200 bucks for it, as it sat uncovered for approximately 11yrs. Checked compression in the guys yard and had 120psi across the board. Took it home and got to work. Luckily the previous owner stored it with no fuel as the tank was bone dry with no residue. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the water separator, added fresh fuel (premix 50:1), topped up the oil res, and she fired right up. After verifying that she did run (and run quite well I might add), I dropped it into the water and rode for about 4hours with no issues whatsoever (while keeping a close eye on everything). She ran like a dream; starts easily, revs nice and smooth, runs cool, no funny noises, etc.

Now I did not touch the carbs other than making sure everything looked good. I did rebuild the fuel pump. At some point, someone had redone all the fuel lines, but it was still 11+ years ago. I premixed the ~12 gallons used over those 4hrs at 50:1 as a precaution as I did not know the condition of the oil injection. I did notice some smoke, but nothing excessive. Im nervous to just trust the system and run straight gas, so im looking to see if there is a common oil per fuel usage. I filled the oil tank to the very bottom of the fill hole. After those 12 gallons, I still have about 2/3's the scale on the MFD. Seem accurate?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is a blue Fuji engine correct? 780cc model?

Oil consumption from the oil tank will be (roughly) 40:1 at wide open and as little as 100:1 at idle and low speeds. Work out what ratio of oil you have consumed for the 12 gallons of gasoline you have used.

Generally these Fuji and Polaris oil injection pumps tend to be reliable. The key is to make sure the oil hoses are in good shape and the clamps are actually snug. Also change the small inline oil filter with a genuine Polaris replacement.

3. +1 by:

OK very good thank you. Yes, blue 780. I suppose it's tough to calculate as the rate of consumption would be different depending on amount of WOT. I'll check the lines again but everything looked good. I've read about their reliability, so I'm guessing it's doing its job, but who knows! This cheap ski turned into quite a gem so I want to make sure I don't melt it down.

OEM oil filter ordered. If I were to replace all the oil lines, do we know how much and of what line i'd need?
    Last edited by AHenry014; 07-08-2015 at 08:04 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    OEM oil filter ordered. If I were to replace all the oil lines, do we know how much and of what line i'd need?
    Inspect the existing oil hoses. Polaris factory used rather good quality oil hoses between oil pump and engine/carburetor so, so they may still be ok. Check for flexibility, surface cracking, and proper clamping pressure at the ends.

Going from memory the original oil hoses are 7mm outside and 3mm inside. Yes, metric.

The OEM oil hose walls are thicker than most generic replacement hoses, so if you switch to the more commonly available 1/8" fuel hose then the original hose clamps may or may not provide enough clamping tension.

The oil hose from tank to oil pump is larger diameter. I forget the exact size but it has been posted elsewhere.

Thank you. You've been very helpful. Like I said, I inspected the lines and everything looked good, besides a slight weep at the bottom of the oil tank. Ive seen no other leakage, and the lines going to the carbs look secure.

To update this, I replaced the oil line filter as suggested, and inspected every line the best I could (hard to see the ones right at the oil pump). I checked the plugs from the last couple times I used it premixed and they looked a bit cakey. I ran straight fuel the last time I had it out for a couple hours and everything seems great!

+1

Split hose at oil tank vent, vacuum relief check valve

I hope this to be useful info for future readers. We have two 1995 SLT 750's. After running parallel for a few hours and dong my home cleanup I noticed we had some oil that dripped in the hull. Here's a prime example of what K447 mentons above... See if you can see the issue...

This is the breather valve at the top of the oil reservoir.

See the split right before the valve?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160907_153044.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	398435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160907_153103.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	398436  
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Thread title, link

10. +1 by:

+1
    That stubby piece of vent hose on top of the oil tank is widely ignored and dismissed as 'probably OK' by the vast majority of owners and service techs.

Awkward to inspect on Genesis, Virage and MSX 140.

A well maintained Polaris should not have oil seeping into the hull or a constant oily film in the bottom of the hull. It can take some effort to fully inspect and seal up the oil tank and hoses, but the result is a hull you can get cleaned up and have it stay that way.

Kudos for finding the split hose and documenting it so clearly.

Thread Information