Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 Virage I, NO spark AND no Fuel pressure

Buddy dropped off Virage with no start condition, first off, I'm a Seadoo guy, don't know much about these polaris fuel injected units. But so far I have checked for spark, none, checked fuel pressure, none. Jumpers the brown wire to ground on the fuel pump and lines pressure up and have pressure at the schrader valve, but of course still no spark. Plugs test good in another craft. I am assuming that it is the EMM that is bad, I assume it controls fuel pump as well as spark/cdi? Just looking for input before guessing and having the emm sent out, will be like $600plus guess here in Canada. Thanks for any ideas.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where in Canada?

See my signature links for more info on Polaris Ficht diagnostics. Quite different from traditional automotive and 4-Tec fuel injection, and also very different from Seadoo DI engines.

Find a place to tap into a white/red wire, without unplugging a fuel injector. Voltage while cranking should be over 20 volts.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    NO spark and no fuel? I would be checking that the EMM actually sees that the engine is spinning first. Check the CPS. Do you get any RPM reading on the display while cranking the engine? If the EMM doesnt see the engine spinning it will not power up and give fuel or spark.

In Sask. I unplugged the diagnostic connector(4 wires, with one looped onto itself red/white), testing the "looped" wire I get 7-8V's while cranking. This is on the connector with the single wire connected to it.......

In Sask. I unplugged the diagnostic connector(4 wires, with one looped onto itself red/white), testing the "looped" wire I get 7-8V's while cranking. This is on the connector with the single wire connected to it.......Matrix I just went out and it does not indicate any rpm while cranking over.

CPS measures in at 130ohms.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crazeejames View Post
    ... I unplugged the diagnostic connector (4 wires, with one looped onto itself red/white), testing the "looped" wire I get 7-8V's while cranking. This is on the connector with the single wire connected to it.......
    Well, that voltage is way too low to run the system.

The normal test method is to not unplug anything, just slide the red meter probe into contact with white/red wire somewhere. Black meter probe to engine ground. My guess is that testing this way will still show the same or less voltage, way under the 20+ volts needed to run the EMM system.

So now you need to figure out why there is weak injector voltage. The EMM takes the AC output from the stator coils are converts it to DC voltage. First test is to unplug the 12-pin connector and ohm check all five coils. See my signature links for the test details. Be sure to also check ohms from each stator cable pin to engine ground, all should be open circuit.

Ohm'ed out the stator, short circuits and messed reading everywhere. Tore it apart, magnet on flywheel exploded, took out a few coils and the wiring for the stator Where is the best place to get parts for these? Any tips on cleaning out all the magnetic chunks.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crazeejames View Post
    Ohm'ed out the stator, short circuits and messed reading everywhere. Tore it apart, magnet on flywheel exploded, took out a few coils and the wiring for the stator Where is the best place to get parts for these? Any tips on cleaning out all the magnetic chunks.......
    Where are you located?

Located near Regina, Sk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information