Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Sunk jet ski. Help!!

Good morning guys. well here is the story. about a year ago during memorial weekend i was riding my jet ski in lake cumberland. The was really high and their was tons of debri in the water. lot of tress and logs. i was having lots of fun jumping wakes and i believe that in one of them jump, i accidently hit a logs or something that it ended up making a crack at the bottom of the hull. after a while i went to park the the jet ski to go wake boarding and didn't came back until late night. Thats when i notice that the jet ski was half way sunk. i went ahead and took it out of the water and took the plug out and let it drain. Thats the extend of all that i did. its been more than a year now and two days ago was the first time i tried to turn it on. Nothing happen it does turn over really slow even with a good battery. where should i start first to try and get it to trun on.

i have a 95 sl650 polaris.

my plan is to replace the ignition system first and go from there but i will like to get you all imput first. let me know please.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did water get into the engine itself?

Have you inspected the engine for signs of rust or water inside?

i havent actaully inspected the engine for rust. where should i start first? i not really sure if water got in the engine but the water was really high when i first took it out of the water.

+1
    You probably have rust in the lower end. Unfortunately, just draining the water is not enough to prevent rust. There is a chance your problem is caused by jet pump binding, but I would be planning on a complete tear-down and rebuild.

didnt want to hear those word but if i have to i will. it will be my first tear down. what do the rest of you think?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peps View Post
    didnt want to hear those word but if i have to i will. it will be my first tear down. what do the rest of you think?
    It really isn't a voting thing. You need to investigate what you have there. If the engine has internal rust, then the engine has rust.

If there is rust inside the crank case bearings, the engine is unlikely to survive for very long even if you manage to get it running, the rusty bearings tend to fail completely once the engine is running fast in the water at speed.

If the engine is not rusted, then there is a chance you can get it going without rebuilding the engine.

i hope for no rust. where and what should i do to start inspecting for rust?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peps View Post
    i hope for no rust. where and what should i do to start inspecting for rust?
    If it was me, I would just remove the engine from the hull, then inspect it on the work bench.

In the hull you can do this;
    Remove the jet pump.
    Remove the drive shaft.
    This ensures that a problem in the jet pump does not confuse your diagnostics.
    See my signature links for how to remove the jet pump.

Remove the spark plugs.
    Connect a good, strong battery. It is preferred to actually install the battery in the hull, not use jumper cables to an outside or booster battery.
    Do not use a high powered jumper pack or anything plugged into AC wall outlet.

See if the engine will crank at normal cranking speeds. If it cranks really slowly, the engine may be rusty inside.

Sometimes a corroded electrical connection from the battery to the engine or start can cause slow cranking. If corroded, remove and clean the battery cable connections, both ends of both heavy cables, and the cable to the starter motor (hard to get at).

If the engine cranks slowly, do not continue to crank as you risk burning out the starter motor.

If the engine cranks at normal speeds, look for water spraying out of the spark plug holes. If you see water, that is not good. If the water is rusty brown color, that is definitely bad.

+1
    You will probably want to remove a cylinder or possibly the carbs in order to look into the crankcases.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Like K447 suggested, you need to get that engine tore down. Period. There is a very good chance that water got inside your engine and rusted at least your crank journals. if you screw around trying to turn it over, your going to destroy your bearings and anything else that's rusted in there. Getting lazy here could really cost you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information