Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MSX 140 electrical issues.

Went and looked at a possible summer project on craigslist today, a Polaris msx 140 the guy said it died on him instantly at the lake and would not restart.

It currently is not getting spark and has the correct plugs. The starter switch is no currently working he is jumping the starter solenoid.

the gauges work and cycle through the settings when the gauge button is pressed. when jumping the solenoid the gauges do nothing. Ive read it sees rpm signal when cranking and knows to turn the gauges on.

My question is could the kill switch or laynard switch possibly be working incorrectly and not allowing it to try to start. would the gauges try to illuminate when the starter is jumped if the kill switch was shorted or stuck in the "stop" mode.

Im just looking for an easy way to tell if it is the EEM or crank sensor or something, maybe a short diagnostic procedure.

Battery voltage is good, new battery and he has already installed a new tps and claimed that he has tested the injectors and they are getting voltage but he may have done it incorrectly.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    First check whether a fuse for the electrical system needs replacement. There are separate fuses for NGI display, fuel pump, and 'battery'. The battery fuse powers everything else.

The tip off is the Start button not doing anything. It is powered via the main 'battery' fuse.

All the MSX fuses are hidden inside one of the black plastic splice connectors. Look for a splice connector with both Red/White and Red/Purple wires, six wires in total. I think it is located somewhere along the right side of the hull, beside or just rearward of the engine.

As shown in this photo there may be a fuse label on the splicing cover.

Okay will do, he claims that when the ski died on him the green starter button remained working for awhile, He also mentioned doing something with the tank regulator and he had the bars and controls apart and said that was when the button quit working, Im just more concerned with the lack of spark and no gauges on crank. The ski has slightly over 200 hours he is claiming no motor rebuild, soooo im not sure its a great investment anyway.

I was hoping the kill switch was the problem, but I just read in a thread that the lanyard must be attached to crank the MSX so if it had died and he continued to crank the ski with the green button, I wouldn't think the kill switch was the original reason for the engine to stop running. I'm most concerned with the EEM being bad, is the fact that the NGI display can cycle through, using the gauge button a good sign regarding the EEM or are they completely different units. Also it's in wonderful shape and has a nice trailer is 1250$ a decent price?

+1
    MSX Start button will not crank the engine without the lanyard in place on the kill switch. This is for MSX 140, the Virage and Genesis models differ in how the Start button is wired.

Blue Mode button on handlebar has nothing to do with the EMM, it only affects the display modes.

The only links between EMM and NGI display is Tan/Orange wire for triggering the Check Engine warning, and the Yellow wire for sending engine RPM signal to the display.

The EMM is in some ways quite separate from the rest of the MSX 140 electrical system. The EMM is not powered by the battery, but by the AC output from the five stator coils, all of which feed into the EMM power section on a 12-pin connector.

The starter motor simply cranks the engine, the rotating flywheel produces AC voltage on the stator coils, which in turn powers the ignition, fuel injection, and the EMM brain. The EMM also activates the fuel pump, which does use battery power to run.
    Last edited by K447; 07-07-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: MSX will not crank without lanyard

Okay so to be clear, i guess I would be happy seeing the gauges light up during crank, and spark obviously lol.

Things that could possibly cause this.
    kill switch.
    Crank position sensor.
    Possible stater problem.
    TPS.?

Also he mentioned that the voltages at the injectors were correct. I would think that if those were energized that the gauges would also illuminate. Could the good voltage at injectors rule out any of the sensors TPS,CPS, or possibly stater?

Any thoghts on that price?

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Start button only works if the lanyard is in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Start button only works if the lanyard is in.
    Well, I had that backwards, didn't I?

Okay so bought the ski tonight. First off I noticed it does have autolite plugs and they are some kind of fancy ones...but not the ngk.

I have corrected the issues with the start button, and have confirmed that the kill switch does work correctly and is open while the engine should be running.

So during cranking....no gauges...no spark....no buzz from fuel pump. EEM seems to not be turning on.

Here are my questions.

Should I test CPS? with a scope or something?

Should I test stater?

If I unplug the TPS would the gauges etc still light up during cranking?

Just wanna make sure its certainly the EEM before sending it to DFI.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 70camaro View Post
    Okay so bought the ski tonight. First off I noticed it does have autolite plugs and they are some kind of fancy ones...but not the ngk.

I have corrected the issues with the start button, and have confirmed that the kill switch does work correctly and is open while the engine should be running.

So during cranking....no gauges...no spark....no buzz from fuel pump. EEM seems to not be turning on.

Here are my questions.

Should I test CPS? with a scope or something?

Should I test stater?

If I unplug the TPS would the gauges etc still light up during cranking?

Just wanna make sure its certainly the EEM before sending it to DFI.
    Ohm test the CPS. Remove it and look for any signs of damage or metal debris on the CPS lower surface.

Find a place to measure DC voltage on white/Red wires without unplugging any fuel injectors or other connectors. Check that the four pin loop through diagnostic connectors are plugged together. Black meter probe to engine ground. Voltage on white/red during cranking should be over 20 volts.

If injector voltage is low, Ohm check the Ficht stator. Unplug the 12-pin connector from the EMM. There are five coils, all should measure similar very low ohms, yet all should have no connection to engine ground.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information