+1

Road trip with the skis, what should be done first?

I've been planning a run to Lake Powell with my wife, its about 2400 miles round trip (accounting for side stops). I've done several things to prepare, but I'm looking for any advice or if I may have missed something. I'd hate to run into a problem and have it take time from the fun.

I've prepared/done this:
    New tires - Even though the trailer is brand new with new (cheap) tires, my Dad insisted on me having radial tires so he bought those plus an extra wheel to throw one of the cheap tires on it as a spare.
    Greased the bearings - Again, its new but we made sure it was adequately greased and will before we leave.
    Tire pressure - Got a digital gauge that goes up to 100psi, I had an analog one that only made it to the high 40's. My tires require 50psi. I will check them every morning before we head out.
    Skis are in good shape - All of the maintenance has been performed on schedule, one is brand new just out of the break in period the other is a 2014 model.

I'll be sure to keep a lock on the tongue, it will be hooked up the entire trip. We will never be out of sight of the skis for long as we will be sleeping in the truck at truck stops and campsites along the way. Unless the heat gets too bad...then it will be hotel time but I'd rather avoid that. Keys will never be stored in the skis (duh). We will stay on the interstates the whole way, minus the last run from Flagstaff to Powell.

The rest isn't really trailer related, but still here we go: Since the lake is massive we will likely lose cell signal I made sure to have a Navionics app with the map downloaded, verified the GPS will still work with no cell service. I'll bring an external battery capable of charging the phone 4 times over. We will also carry some non-perishable food and water in case of emergency.

If I'm forgetting anything, especially long haul trailer tips, please let me know. The first day we will try and run a full 1100 miles, I'm a little concerned about the heat on the tires/bearings. Hopefully everything will hold up since it's being maintained properly.

Edit: The only thing I don't have is Jet ski covers. I wanted to get them before we leave but getting a decent one or Seadoo branded one would just be too expensive for two skis. I plan to clean and wax them really well before we leave. We won't be gone more than 4-5 days, they are always stored in our garage so I'm not too worried about he sun baking them.

+1
    Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Be sure to stop after a few miles to check the tie downs; they will usually loosen after 5 - 10 miles of towing.

3. +1 by:

cxk

+1
    Did almost the same trip a few years ago. As X said, you have pretty much everthing covered. I would go over the trailer and make sure all the hardware is in good shape. I would also bring a small gease gun to lube the bearings. What I did was everytime we stopped, I would do a walk around, look everything over, check the tie downs and feel the tires and bearings. If they are supper hot, then something is up.

5. +1 by:

cxk

+1
    Thanks guys. Glad to know I'm as well prepared as I can be. I will give it a run down every stop, I down we can go more than 250 miles without stopping for gas/bathroom. I've got the bladder of a trucker but the wife isn't quite as road ready lol. I guess the next/last preparation will be getting my wife more comfortable with towing in case I need a break. I think she will only agree to do it on the interstate with out a lot of turns.

+1
    The only thing additional i would add is a toolbox just in case. I never go anywhere without tools

8. +1 by:

cxk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki_production View Post
    The only thing additional i would add is a toolbox just in case. I never go anywhere without tools
    Noted. I'm taking my work truck but did plan on removing all of my tools from the back seat to fit the "bed" we built. I'll just toss it in the tool box in the bed rather than leaving it in the garage.

+1
    I don't trust hand crank locking mechanism and would recommend a plastic coated cable or chain to attach to the bow in addition to the strap.

11. +1 by:

cxk

+1
    When I tow across country I also make sure the receiver is bolted on with a locknut & Loctite not the pin with clip, trailer ball the same & I run a security cable through the intake grate around the driveshaft & then around the trailer frame for security, all the locks I use are the kind that have to be cut with a torch, that way someone would really have to work at swiping the ski. I sleep in motels so I can sleep better this way. If you have a spare key for your ski(s) keep the extra one in the tow vehicle, take any registration/paperwork out of the ski when you are not using it. Tow rope in each ski & something to pinch off waterlines in case you need to tow. Take some pictures for the rest of us who can get away on vacation!

13. +1 by:

Thread Information