Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Best touring PWC

Hi everyone,

Looking for an objective suggestion for a PWC for cruising/touring. Looking for something with lots of storage, good gas mileage, and a large fuel tank. Anyone have any experience with a Kawasaki Ultra LX 160 or a Yamaha FX Cruiser HO? The Ultra LX seems prefect, except that it lacks the adjustable trim and cruise assist of the FX Cruiser HO. Are these features essential for long-distance rides? I'd be doing most of of my riding on the Great Lakes and some large inland lakes and rivers. Also like the price of the Ultra LX better.

+1
    My dads ultra lx rode great in the ocean. He had no problem hanging with me on my 12 rxtx 260. It was extremely underpowered topping out in the low 50s and ate more gas then my supercharged ski.

+1
    So I take it you wouldn't recommend the Ultra LX? Do you have any recommendations? I really like the 60 gallons of storage and nearly 21 gallon gas tank on the Ultra LX. I love the features of the FX Cruiser HO, but I wish it had a bigger gas tank and larger storage capacity.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    use the ski you have and take your stuff in this:

http://www.cargowave.net/

+1
    He ultra LX is a big, stable cruiser with lots of storage. It gets great range in the 30-35 mph range(possibly better than any other ski), but if you're going to cruise at 45-50, you will have it nearly pinned, which means it won't be getting great mileage. It's also great in the rough water. Sounds like the right ski for you unless you need speed.

+1
    I have the 2013 Yamaha FX HO. I don't ever use the trim (except just to experiment) so I find that's just an extra that I don't use.

But the cruise? Yeah, I use that ALL the time. But I'm the kind of person who just always uses the cruise whether it's in the small truck, big truck, or WaveRunner. Of course it was hard to engage during our run to Bimini, but on the way back I managed to figure out how to counter-balance myself against the waves and was able to use it. That made the trip much easier on me! MUCH.

The storage was sufficient for my large back-pack with a few days' worth of clothes and "shaving kit" along with snorkeling gear, Cooper Anchor, and some other stuff that I'm not remembering. Had two bottles of water in the glove box and all of my important stuff (passport, wallet, chargers) in the removable waterproof compartment under the rear seat. There is a handle built onto the screw-in cover and you can just grab it and go!

Of course we also had a couple of gas cans and a cooler with more water and a couple of food items.

So, I can't really say anything about the Ultra as I don't have any experience with it. The only thing I've felt was missing from my ski was the RiDE, but that wasn't out yet. I guess I'll have to upgrade soon!

Oh, and the only things I can find that are different from the regular and cruiser models are the seat and the pop-up cleat. Is it worth $500? Well, that depends on you as it's entirely subjective. Some of the guys who ride more aggressively say that the cruiser seat kinda gets in the way of their movement. But it sure looks comfortable!

+1
    I would say a newer FX HO would be my choice for the best Tourer. Awesome platform, smooth ride, great reliability, takes regular fuel, good storage, handles rough water well.
    Ultra isn't as reliable and doesn't handle as well

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Considering a seadoo at all? All we do is cruise the Great Lakes. We've got an rxpx and gtx s 155. One of the reasons I chose the seadoo was that finding anything but 87 octane on the water is very difficult. The seadoo is an amazing cruiser and can be set up really well for it. Great mileage/range too!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstaffo View Post
    Hi everyone,

Looking for an objective suggestion for a PWC for cruising/touring. Looking for something with lots of storage, good gas mileage, and a large fuel tank. .
    The Kawasaki Ultra LX is the best in all of the mentioned categories and I would rival its range to any ski out there if ridden in the 35mph range I have taken it 70 miles on ten gallons of gas before but if your your on either side of the range it can be much worse. I'm in Bimini right now as I type this and it took almost 20 gallons to get here due to poor sea conditions but the amount of stuff I put in the ski was crazy. My Sea Doo which is also here with us now couldnt hardly carry anything compared to the Kawi. The ultra LX is a very basic ski though not very rich in features.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ecpChris View Post
    I would say a newer FX HO would be my choice for the best Tourer. Awesome platform, smooth ride, great reliability, takes regular fuel, good storage, handles rough water well.
    Ultra isn't as reliable and doesn't handle as well
    What makes you think the LX isn't as reliable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information