Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 seadoo gtx rfi newbie help please!!

We are new to jet skis but have a automotive shop so I think we can figure our way around this thing. We have check compression it's 150psi x2. Battery voltage not running is 12.6 running was 12.24. Here the fuel pump priming. Problem we are having is ski has to be held half throttle to crank. When it does crank it's spewing smoke and sounds like it's cutting out. Looking at plugs it seems to have been or is flooding. Story has of last summer me and my daughter took it out on a test ride to buy well it had power just wasn't going anywhere fast took a few to get plane out and then only 42mph. I inspected wear ring and holy moly it's gone so bad that doest take a genius or a man to see!! Sorry guys lol The starting up and not idling has me concerned now and we didn't have that problem when we took it out. We have went and got the ski again in an attempt to figure it out to see if it's worth buying. Guy said ran fine summer before last so I'm feeling we have maybe some clogged injector issues and maybe some fine cleaning needing down due to u don't see anything changed or done since we took it out on the test ride. Any help would be appreciated as we are off this week and wanted to try to find problem and put it in the water and see if it's worth our time to buy. Thank u in advance for any help!

+1
    You have a bad rectifier or stator for sure... voltage should be 14volts or better with some throttle while it's running. Also, the spewing smoke and sounding rough could be fogging oil from being winterized, or it could be rotary shaft seals gone bad... which is likely the case. Bad crank seals are common, and require buying a new or rebuild crank, not cheap, not easy, and hard to get right without buying all of the special tools, including CANDOO or buds to reset the TPS, and the TPS setting is what is probably causing the starting and idling problems...

It's an RFI, run, run fast, and buy a carbed ski or a 4 stroke. Someones old headache RFI is not a good first ski, it will most likely ruin the sport for you and your family... here is the best advice i can give: BUY SOMETHING ELSE!

+1
    agree with wkuadam07 i had a gsx rfi and was a huge headache! new engine, fuel pump, filters fuel regulator, injectors, rectifier,tps and reset, you name it it's been done with a fine tooth comb! i traded it in for a new gti 130.
    with the rfi i've read too many people have the same issues and have stumped many on the forums.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    WHAT THEY SAID!

unless an RFI runs good when you get it-forget it

They run hotter then a carbed 787 and folks that don't use synthetic oil find out the hard way that the engines barley make 200-250 hours before major problems set in. Or if they are left idle for a few years..same problems.

All that being said, I've had my share of great RFI's

and more dogs then I care to recall.

If you have one, you need an analyzer or you might as well use a handgun to make your repairs

+1
    i have an analyzer candoo pro. with my experience, the handgun is a better choice.

+1
    I've repaired many without anything more than a good meter and fuel gauge. The RFI is a basic fuel injection system no different than any early fuel injected car.

We took it out yesterday ran good except loading up seems to be. It won't idle most of the time have to play with throttle at low speed. But as soon as you hit that sweet spot about half throttle it takes off like no problems and rides out fine only topping about 45-47 tho on calm water. Would rectifier have something to do with this?

Thank you all for the replys and help I won't call out any other forums but I still haven't got a response and it's been 3 days.

+1
    How many hours on this machine? Filter and strainer in tank on FP module should be replaced every 80, probably never been done. Check wiring connection at ignition coil, pull and clean filthy crud from RAVE's, inspect water regulating valve on muffler/waterbox.

Ski has 172 hours on it. Would I be getting a 12 volt low warning from rectifier?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information