WEIRD thing happening XL 760 1998

Hello to all and thanks for your help and info on this

I have a 1998 XL 760

the problem

Well like 3 weeks ago i used it and it worked great full speed and all went very fast and fun but (there is always a but) yesterday i tryed to used again and there is where problems started

At first it was very hard to start it but i manged to do it with the help of a little gas to prime the carbs then it couldnt hold the idle so i thouhgt it is getting lean so i open the low needle a little more and kind of help but didnt fix the problem i thouhg t i had something in hte turbine but no there was nothing so i go back out to test idle holds for about 3 mins the stops but well i can go riding now so i step on the gas and get going used like 3 or 4 times like 20 mins each time but it wasnt working right to make it go i had to pull on the choke a little wich lowered the rpm a little like 5500 (looks like a carb problem dont you think but carbs were rebuided last month and worked great) then the pwc sat on the water for like 1 hr and time to get it out so I jump on it and wanted to start but no turn batery is dead ( battery is less than a month old) so i had to swim to get it on the trailer not a big deal but well got it out of the water got another battery and start it it started well but i noticed a little problem if i want to rev it up when engine gets above 5500 rpm i noticed that the spark plugs where not working like when you pull the key out and engine takes a little time to stop thanks the speed of it but if let go the throtle it starts working again

so i am a bit confused any ideas can this be an electrical problem how can i test if the battery is charging ????

Any ideas will be very apreciated

Thanks again and have a nice day

Your stator is shot. I just went through this with my 99 gp760. I replaced stator and regulator then my cdi went. Replaced cdi and no more issues.

Hard start and wot would kill spark.

WOt what does that mean???

Wide open throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoogle View Post
    Your stator is shot. I just went through this with my 99 gp760. I replaced stator and regulator then my cdi went. Replaced cdi and no more issues.
    Hello here

Well I need to report Stator is in good chape checked all and all numbers are ok with the shop manual what i found bad is the rectifier not working and the system is pulling all the power from the battery when baterrie runs low well nothing works

ill change the rectifier and report if that fixed the problem

Thanks for your help guys

Thread Information