Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 Yamaha VXR Flushing Issues

Hey guys, New to the site. (Hope this is the right spot to post this)

I have a 2013 Yamaha VXR that when I flush on the hose , I keep getting the overheating chime and light. While its in the water no issues at all. (there is not much water coming out of the hose on the left side unless , I berp it a few times , than I get a decent flow , but it stops once I stop berping the throttle)

Little History: A few weeks back I sucked up a plastic bag and a piece of rope was caught. I removed my intake grate and freed everything up and re-assembled. I have since rode with no issues at all on the water. Only time , I`m having the issue is when I`m flushing it at the end of the day.

I went outside today, pulled it out of the garage and started it to and turned the water on and bam , 2 minutes in it was throwing the light. (very minimul water out of port side cooling)

Any suggestions?

just my opinion here....2 full minutes seams a lil long to me....i run mine for about a 60 second count and turn water off and throttle it a couple times up to about 3 grand then cut motor off and put back in barn....also...make sure ski is sitting level when flushing out as you will get a better flow from the pisser....hope this helps....others much more experienced may have other suggestions...

Hey, Thanks for your reply. Spoke to the dealer and a few friends who seemed to think it may have been salt deposit in the tube. I flushed it out with Salt away and that did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
    just my opinion here....2 full minutes seams a lil long to me....i run mine for about a 60 second count and turn water off and throttle it a couple times up to about 3 grand then cut motor off and put back in barn....also...make sure ski is sitting level when flushing out as you will get a better flow from the pisser....hope this helps....others much more experienced may have other suggestions...

+1
    Salt Away is an amazing product to flush and wash your ski.

5. +1 by:

Run ski for about 30 seconds, thats all you need on the hose.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
    I might have used salt away once over the 10 years here, too expensive to do this to 8-20 skis every day. I actually squirt dawn in my skis, going on 1000+ hours strong on some motors.

I have taken water collected from a dawn flushed ski and a salt away ski(customers) and find i have more junk come out with dawn then anything. Maybe i'm just a kook...

Then again, I only flush if they are going to sit for longer then a week. Other then that, my flush adapter is used mainly for the cool jet stream it makes on my garden hose

+1
    When I ride in the ocean I do 3-4 minutes of flushing with the hose and then another 30 second with Salt-Away (2009 FZR). The only finicky issue I've had on the FZR (not sure if the VXR is the same) is that sometimes I will only get the water to come out of the front pisser on the left side. To fix this, I just put my finger over the pisser for a couple seconds and then water will start flowing out of the second rear pisser. I also hose down the engine compartment too and then drain the hull afterwards.

my god 3-4 minuets!!!

I was told by the service guy when I picked up my 2015 VXR to run salt away mix and let it run on the hose until there's no foam. That took about 3 minutes. I got the chime as well for 15-20 seconds and then goes off as the water flow picks up. This is my first PWC so I hope I'm not jacking it up.

Not for nothing ou know the guy that sells you that thing has a vested interested in the skis coming back in for repairs right?? one overheat alarm, in some instances, you can kiss your warranty goodbye. Just saying...

I live in an incredibly harsh environment, and I have been with these 4 stroke yamis almost as long as they have been put out...you are doing yourself harm by running your ski that long on the hose. I don't care what any guy behind the counter in an AC'd showroom says. I spent 10 years out in the open with hundreds of different brand new and beaten on FX and VX skis to coming to my conclusion.

This is a (mostly) free nation we live in,you can choose to take my advice or ignore it. Im not up here posting to hear myself speak, im also not ignoring my own jet ski rental to answer and help people with their personal skis.

Kwtony flush protocol; 30 seconds max, dont rev higher then 2-4k...start engine, start water, 30 second, shut off water wait for 10 seconds, shut off engine.

I wish you best of luck on whatever you choose to do

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    It seems a lot of people cause more issues then they solve with flushing. I run only fresh water and have never run a ski on a hose. Never.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information