Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy with two 1993 Polaris SL 650 jet skis

I've been lurking on this forum for about 2 weeks now and I figured I better join up. I am a first time old school jet ski owner who has never owned any form of watercraft, but I am fairly mechanically inclined. I've been reading through the threads on here and still have a ton more reading to do. I want to say thank to those of you have put together important links and information for us beginners.

So what I have are two 1993 Polaris SL 650 jet skis. $1000 got me a double jet ski trailer with one kinda running jet ski and a second jet ski that doesn't run. The one jet ski with engine issues took on water at some point, but was never worked on. So it has sat with the intake off and one of the cylinder heads off for at least a year. As Murphy would have it, the one running jet ski had some pretty serious hull damage and the non-running jet ski has a pretty decent hull with no major hits. I thought about swapping engines to the good hull, but I decided to pull the engine and do fiberglass repair instead.

I have a ton of work ahead of me, but as of right now I have one jet ski with a running engine and fiberglass repair on the hull. On the running jet ski I still need to do a pressure test, leak down test and carb rebuild. I did swap in new 2 cycle oil, fuel filter, verified the oil pump was working, cleaned the carbs and ran the engine (with water hose hooked up) with new gas. One carb has a steady drip of fuel from the plate with the diaphragm so I haven't attempted to use it.

For the other jet ski I plan on pulling the engine, thoroughly cleaning it, inspecting it and rebuilding the carbs. Both jet skis will get new fuel lines and 3 outlet fuel pumps. I hope to have both of them running by the end of this month or earlier. And now some questions:
    1. How will I know if I need to replace my needles and seats?
    2. If I have to replace the needles do I simply measure it to know what size I have? Like 1.5mm, 2mm, etc...
    3. When I swap to the 3 outlet fuel pump I know I will have to make some adjustments to the carbs. Is there anyone at or near 6000 ft elevation who has done this mod and can tell me how many turns they're at? I live in Colorado and will primarily be going to Pueblo reservoir.
    4. Where can I get genuine Mikuni carb parts? ShopSBT.com has one carb kit for $34.95, but amazon has 3 carb kits for $69.95. How would I know if either are actually genuine Mikuni parts?
    5. Should I completely tear down the non-running engine and completely re-build it or just clean it, drain it and rebuild the carbs?
    6. In one of the pictures you can see the warning label, do I need to keep that?

Thanks for a great site and any future help you give me. I've attached some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0952.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	364458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0944.jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	364456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0945.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	364457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0953.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	364459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0954.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	364460  

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    And now some questions:
    1. How will I know if I need to replace my needles and seats?
    2. If I have to replace the needles do I simply measure it to know what size I have? Like 1.5mm, 2mm, etc...
    3. When I swap to the 3 outlet fuel pump I know I will have to make some adjustments to the carbs. Is there anyone at or near 6000 ft elevation who has done this mod and can tell me how many turns they're at? I live in Colorado and will primarily be going to Pueblo reservoir.
    4. Where can I get genuine Mikuni carb parts? ShopSBT.com has one carb kit for $34.95, but amazon has 3 carb kits for $69.95. How would I know if either are actually genuine Mikuni parts?
    5. Should I completely tear down the non-running engine and completely re-build it or just clean it, drain it and rebuild the carbs?
    6. In one of the pictures you can see the warning label, do I need to keep that?
    Thanks for a great site and any future help you give me. I've attached some pics.
    1. You need to
    2. You order the kits for the carbs from John Zigler at Watcon and he sends you the correct sizes.
    3. You may need to lean them out a bit to compensate, but stock settings will get you in the ballpark and you can check wash from there.
    4. https://www.watcon.com/
    5. I vote yes...rebuilding them without knowing for sure what is in them is a risk.
    6. Doesn't matter to me. Oddly enough Polaris added that after a nasty lawsuit IIRC. I like it, and make people read it before riding.

3. +1 by:

TCB

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll check out that website and update this thread with progress and questions.

I tore into the non-running engine last night and it was full of water. I'm debating if it be worth getting a complete gasket set and carb rebuild kit or get a rebuilt engine and carb rebuild kit. The PTO piston has pock marks, two chips missing and has been replaced before. So at least that one will need to be replaced. Attached is a picture. I was thinking about this engine if I decide to just replace it:

http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris_jet-s...1992-1995.html

What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0975.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	364732

+1
    Water sitting in the engine means the crank is likely shot...but take it apart and check.

A crank from SBT is $245 and you have to send them your broked one. Another $100 for complete gasket set. $595 for a rebuilt engine...with swap.

It's more of a "you wanna learn or burn cash/fuel"?

I wouldn't trade what I have learned here on 2-strokes for the $1700 worth of parts i have bought to salvage 4 skis.

I dunno though...650 ain't that fast or big of a ski. Goofy engine cooling lines. I prefer the 3 seaters...and I have standardized on the EC78PW engines.

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Or you could save 200 bucks and get the standard engine. The only difference is the 1 year warranty instead of 2.

http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris-jet-s...1994-1995.html

8. +1 by:

TCB

+1
    I just ordered a 780 engine from SBT a couple weeks ago. It arrived super quick and was packaged very well. I called and talked to them before ordering and they told me all thier short blocks have new cranks, sleeves and standard size pistons.The engine was painted so it looked just like a brand new engine. They give you a return shippping label in the box for your core and you have 14 business days to get it to the post office. I was really happy with what i got from them. I would recommed getting a remanufactured engine from them over the price of a total rebuild.

10. +1 by:

TCB

Thanks y'all. So it looks like if I were to go with this engine http://www.shopsbt.com/mm5/merchant....1993-1994-1995 ,this installation gasket set http://www.shopsbt.com/mm5/merchant....-650-750-92-95 and break in oil. Plus carb rebuild kit https://www.watcon.com/carb-rebuild-...category_id=38 and 3 outlet pump kit https://www.watcon.com/triple-outlet...ategory_id=121 Then I should be good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    Water sitting in the engine means the crank is likely shot...but take it apart and check.

A crank from SBT is $245 and you have to send them your broked one. Another $100 for complete gasket set. $595 for a rebuilt engine...with swap.

It's more of a "you wanna learn or burn cash/fuel"?

I wouldn't trade what I have learned here on 2-strokes for the $1700 worth of parts i have bought to salvage 4 skis.

I dunno though...650 ain't that fast or big of a ski. Goofy engine cooling lines. I prefer the 3 seaters...and I have standardized on the EC78PW engines.
    Are all the 780s 3 seaters?

+1
    [QUOTE=TCB;2589755]
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post

Are all the 780s 3 seaters?
    Nope!

The SLT indicates the ski is a 3-seater.
    I rebuilt a 780SLX last year, and it was a fun ski, but with two people on it it was too top heavy for me. I sold it to a neighbor. I currently have 6 780SLTs...3 of them are running, though one needs the carbs gone thru as a minimum.

Before you order any parts, I would suggest you get the water-filled engine apart and assess ALL damage. Then you can decide how much work you want to do vs money you want to spend.

I have not bought a built engine from SBT yet, but I have bought lots of parts and their exchange program is good IMO.

I will probably be buying a built engine to build up my gutted parts ski for the same neighbor I sold the 780SLX to. I have no reservations about doing so. It will save me time and get him a warranty.

But for MY skis I prefer to do the work myself. It saves me money, is fun, and keeps me from watching television.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information