Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What head is this.. Skool this newb.. Melted a Piston and need to know wtf I have

Bought this ski from a guy that had it a year, he bought it from a guy that worked at a piolaris dealer.. . He didn't ride much and I came up with it.. I melted the exhaust side of the piston in the front cylinder yesterday.. Should this have the ngk 8 or 9 plugs in it? Also this head on the right( one that came off the ski ) would appear to me to be a high compression dome, it is a 2 seperate parts{ cooling chamber } the left one would appear to be a stock one and came on another engine I got with the ski. I did a compression test and the back two yesterday read 135psi warm.. Also the piston has .50 on it.. Any info is a big help.. I'm not sure what this guy had and need to know what I have now.. Thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	364447Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	364446Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	364445

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The head on the left is for a DI motor.

What are you using for fuel? 135 is stock compression on a 1200.

This was a mix of 93 and 87. Should it always be 93 ? What is the D1 motor ? I am just going to redo the entire too end with wsm platinums.. Just didn't expect it to leave just yet.. The compression on the cylinder that crapped out was a little lower then the other to upon purchase but only by about a point or two..

+1
    DI is the FICHT direct injected motor. I run nothing but 91 ethanol free in all of my skis.

So is there a benefit to the DI motor ? DI is a fuel injected motor I take it ? We have no with no eth free gas around here in MD. Thanks

+1
    With that cylinder damage i would be checking the whole fuel system. Open the carbs and make sure everything is clean, especially the small filters internally.

BR9ES plugs on the 1200 motors.

I would also leak test that motor once its all back together. A leaking front crank seal can make it go lean and kill a cylinder too.

Well popped all the cylinders off today.. Ski has had the front 2 replaced, back one I am not sure, it doesn't have the same numbers as the front two, but has had atleast a gasket done.. Plugs tunred out to be the 8's in here, they are a heat range hotter.. Could have been the culprit.. I love buying other peoples shit... Going to order the WSM platinum kit probably tonight. Can i use the DI block with these cylinder heads and all and bolt it in ?? How can I tell if the front crank seal is leaking ?? Anyway to do it in the ski ? Also what is the spec on rod play side to side ?? .010 ??? ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	getPart.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	364635

+1
    You have the motor torn down that far, just remove the jet pump and drive shaft and pull the motor out. You can then pull the flywheel cover and have a look inside. If you find oil in there most likely the seal is leaking. A leak test on the motor once its fully reassembled would tell you that info as well. If it were me, I would be pulling that whole motor apart and checking everything.

That is more then likely what is going to happen.. Like I said i want it right when it goes back together.. I just hate the fact I have to pump out more money into this thing.. My deal has turned into what i could prob buy one of these skis for that was rebuilt with paper work to document it. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderjack View Post
    That is more then likely what is going to happen.. Like I said i want it right when it goes back together.. I just hate the fact I have to pump out more money into this thing.. My deal has turned into what i could prob buy one of these skis for that was rebuilt with paper work to document it. Thanks

Thats why I like to buy them blown up and cheap.....

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information