Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

low compression cylinder 3 2011 RXT IS - need suggestions

I have an issue on my RXT that i suspect is bad rings but wont know for sure until i tear into it - did compression test and it might get to 60 psi and smokes bad. the ski only has 35 hours on it so i am wondering two things - 1. with that few hours should I only be concerned with replacing the bad parts that are causing the issue (thinking rings currently) and leave bearings and such alone or should i do more and 2. since i will have it apart i was thinking of doing some light mods maybe intake, intercooler and exhaust nothing crazy i am more a rec user that anything just like something slightly above average. should i do anything with valves etc.?

any suggestions are greatly appreciated

+1
    I'd want to know what happened to this motor first. Did the IC pop? Did the oil go low and cook something? There are a few questions to be answered with those low hours. Once you figure those out, you can figure it out from there. I heard that getting to top off of those iS skis is insane!!

My RXP had a failed IC that gave me some pretty nice water injection, it rusted around the cylinder and wore a grove away. My compression was still at 100.

+1
    Pull the head, look at the cylinder walls and the valves in the head on cyl 3. That much blowby is usually a toasted oil ring but not from normal wear. Your wrist pin might be hosed or a rod bearing causing slop which could have trashed it.

+1
    What should I look for on the head - valves that don't appear to be seated correctly? and as for the cylinder walls I am sure look for obvious scoring - I suspect the rest will require opening up the lower end.
    No water leaking as intake was dry and #3 spark plug was oily so getting oil in from somewhere just not sure where. And yes being an IS ski it will be fun removing the top deck luckily I have a hoist in the shop.

+1
    before jumping the gun, I would remove the rockers and leak down test it first. That will give you a very good idea where the compression is going then go from there.

+1
    Good suggestion and I don't have to pull the deck to do it I don't think.

+1
    crap forgot about the intake so i cant do anything without removing deck, guess it will have to wait until i get back from vacation - will update once back and have the deck off

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mlgarner View Post
    crap forgot about the intake so i cant do anything without removing deck, guess it will have to wait until i get back from vacation - will update once back and have the deck off
    You don't need to pull deck just to pull valve cover (to remove rockers).

Put ear to oil filler neck, throttle-body and exhaust outlet. If you have closed look, pop coolant overfill and watch for a burp. If open-loop, put ear to waterline.

It's an old school trick but...If you can't pin point the leak (valves or rings), try putting a little heavy motor oil down each spark plug hole.

Leakage Percent:
    0% - 15% = Excellent
    16% - 25% = Good Condition
    26% - 40% = Fair. Performance down
    41% - up = Poor. Needs repair

FYI: When you put each cyl at TDC, you may need to hold driveshaft to prevent motor from turning when compressed air is applied. You can either pull pump or use vice-grips on driveshaft through intake grate opening (not pretty but gets job done).

+1
    Ok put leak down tester on cylinder 3 and listened to oil fill tube and I can hear bubbling which seems odd but I am not sure the path air would take if bypassing rings going to oil fill tube.

+1
    What percent is #3?

Next try putting a little oil in cyl and see if % lowers. You usually only get 1 quick shot so be quick as you may notice percent slowly increasing as oil is pushed past rings.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information