Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

drowned my new ski

so i just took my very first ski out on the lake for the very first time. I made sure the drain plug was tight without initially noticing there was a second one and launched it along with my other ski. Rode them with a buddy for a couple of hours and parked them. we cam back to them and rode them some more stopped on the lake to talk and noticed the ski seemed very heavy and water logged. over time it kept on sinking and luckily was able to tow it to the boat ramp without it sinking all the way. by the time i got it back on the trailer i took the seat off the water was at the brim. i looked under and noticed that one drain plug on each of the skis were completely unscrewed. I dont know if they came off during riding since the water was choppy or if someone messed with them while parking them but i was absolutely upset. my yamaha 800 took on a little water and had a hard time running. i brought them back to the house and was able to start the 800 with little trouble and after running it awhile it now seems fine. on the other hand i pulled the plugs and tried to turn it over. it did a few times while spraying the water out of the cylinders but now it does not even turn over. i can hear the box behind the battery clicking but nothing is happening besides that. I have 13v and the battery and relay box but nothing turns over. I pulled the exhaust piece, flame arrestor box, and the heads and took a shop vac to get any water i can out. i put oil in the cylinders to keep them from corroding as it is very humid here over the past couple of months. this especially sucks since the motor was recently rebuilt and i can see the cross hatches in the cylinders. from this point i have no idea what to do since i am not familiar with these machines and so i signed up on this forum to seek out help. any advice would be appreciated. thank you very much.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasaki_production View Post
    so i just took my very first ski out on the lake for the very first time. I made sure the drain plug was tight without initially noticing there was a second one and launched it along with my other ski. Rode them with a buddy for a couple of hours and parked them. we cam back to them and rode them some more stopped on the lake to talk and noticed the ski seemed very heavy and water logged. over time it kept on sinking and luckily was able to tow it to the boat ramp without it sinking all the way. by the time i got it back on the trailer i took the seat off the water was at the brim. i looked under and noticed that one drain plug on each of the skis were completely unscrewed. I dont know if they came off during riding since the water was choppy or if someone messed with them while parking them but i was absolutely upset. my yamaha 800 took on a little water and had a hard time running. i brought them back to the house and was able to start the 800 with little trouble and after running it awhile it now seems fine. on the other hand i pulled the plugs and tried to turn it over. it did a few times while spraying the water out of the cylinders but now it does not even turn over. i can hear the box behind the battery clicking but nothing is happening besides that. I have 13v and the battery and relay box but nothing turns over. I pulled the exhaust piece, flame arrestor box, and the heads and took a shop vac to get any water i can out. i put oil in the cylinders to keep them from corroding as it is very humid here over the past couple of months. this especially sucks since the motor was recently rebuilt and i can see the cross hatches in the cylinders. from this point i have no idea what to do since i am not familiar with these machines and so i signed up on this forum to seek out help. any advice would be appreciated. thank you very much.
    First you need to post what year and model is your Kawasaki.? The Drain plugs do not come out if properly tightened....make that your pre check at the boat ramp while removing straps. There's plenty of help here if you post as much info as possible.

+1
    Regardless of whether you have a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke, you MUST get the water out IMMEDIATELY! With the spark plugs removed and the plug wires grounded, try putting a jumper cable directly on the terminal on the starter motor. It's possible you got water in the starter and damaged it.

Oil in the cylinders is helpful, but it's the crankcase where the real damage occurs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Regardless of whether you have a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke, you MUST get the water out IMMEDIATELY! With the spark plugs removed and the plug wires grounded, try putting a jumper cable directly on the terminal on the starter motor. It's possible you got water in the starter and damaged it.

Oil in the cylinders is helpful, but it's the crankcase where the real damage occurs.
    I think you are right and the starter is fried. its a 99 ultra 150

+1
    If the drain plugs are not screwed in, but just hanging loose then when you drive the ski the drag on them from the water will pull them right out and go bye bye. At least they did in my ski. If you keep it moving it won't take on much water. If you stop it will.

+1
    If the starter is out, the best thing you can do is fill the engine with automatic transmission fluid (works better for displacing water). Even then you won't get the wrist pins lubricated unless you can tip the 'Ski up on it's side.

Are you running sleeved cylinders?

Did it get your display? If so, about all you can do is remove the display, then remove the rubber plug on the back and try to dry it out with a hair dryer.

+1
    i believe the cylinders are sleeved, there is a definite difference in metal between the jug and water jackets and the cylinders themselves. i bought the ski with the motor already rebuilt. The display is fine, the ski didnt go completely under. i already coated the cylinders with oil should i dump some oil in there too so it gets past the ports by hand turning the crank? I bought versiplugs for this ski already so i dont have to deal with this crap again it makes sense that it wont take on water riding but it will when standing still. also, just a side comment, i pulled the heads and noticed the furthest left cylinder (1?) was clean while the second and third had carbon on them? am i having a fueling problem? thanks for the help so far guys.

+1
    The cylinders are the least of your worries, they can be honed. The crankshaft bearings are the critical items, as it only takes a day or so for rust to form. A thin layer of rust won't cause damage immediately, but will come back to haunt you later on.

Yes, if you've got a 'clean' cylinder or white spark plug, you've got a fuel problem. It won't last long like that!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Versi plugs are not a good idea on a recreational ski...IMO....all it takes is a lil sand or a twig in there and it will leak....

Drain plugs are the least of your worries right now.....gotta get ALL the water out of there like yesterday,,,,

+1
    ok do i need to pull the engine and take it apart? what do i need to do exactly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information