+1

Ethanol effects on 4tec gas lines

I recently had our pontoon in for repair because the motor would not run. Last time we had it in was 5 yrs ago. Turns out it's for the same thing again. Deteriorating gas lines from gas with ethanol. They showed me the fuel filter and was full of black rubber pieces. The carb was also full of crap. We only run regular gas mixed 50:1 for the mercury 45hp outboard, but always premium in the gtr.

My question is would our 4tec engines be susceptible to the same thing? I always run premium but don't add anything to treat the ethanol. I'm a little confused as to why ethanol doesn't affect our vehicle gas lines but does in our outboard. I would think they would be designed in the same way that it wouldn't affect them.

So being my gtr is about 3yrs old now I'm getting concerned this may happen to it as well at some point. Is this possible or as it apples and oranges since one is two stroke and the gtr 4 stroke. Im on E now and found a gas station last night that has ethanol free premium, just a dollar more than regular, so will be getting that today for sure. Will gas up there while up north at the lake for now on.

+1
    the newer fuel injection fuel line seems to tolerate ethanol a lot more than the old stuff

Went to Home Cheapo a month or so ago and there was an outside display of Cub Cadet mowers and a table display of Sta-Bil. I asked the guy about the Sta-Bil because i use it and just wanna geek learn. He said he had it there because Cub recommends Sta Bil for EVERY use because Cub Cadets have problems with the ethanol. This is stupid.

+1
    Well, I have run 10% ethanol fuels for 11 years on my doo, never an issue at all. Sits 6 months of the year and all i do is stabil in the gas for the winter.
    Fires right up in the spring.
    So I would say, non issue.
    Heck, my Ultra is 15 years old, no issues.

+1
    Like Chris said ethanol seems to have little to no effect on machines that are fuel injected while it tends to have a dramatic one on machines that are still carbureted. I run both 93 with ethanol and 91 ethanol-free in my RXP-X. 93 is cheaper on the water and only one marina offers the 91 ethanol-free while off the water, the local gas station has replaced their 93 ethanol with 91 ethanol-free. I feel good about it either way because I know the gas will not sit in the ski long enough for it to break down. I'd recommend using ethanol-free while you store the ski for the off season.

+1
    it becomes a problem when you let the machine sit with a low tank for an extended period of time. The ethanol will draw in more condensation(as any alcohol will) and gum up the gas. If you're guna let it sit, fill her up and use some seafoam.

+1
    • * #1 Reason for gas-caused engine damage=Phase-separated and/or water-contaminated E10 gasoline.
    After phase separation, most water + alcohol drops to the bottom of the tank -->
    Now the lower layer of tank contains an alcohol concentration of 60 to 95%!

I think more of a problem for ski's and boats that sit idle in the winter months....good reason boats have a water separator on the fuel filter..I guess Stabil traps and holds the water without separating from the fuel so It can be burned off during operation...Lots of info on the web...

+1
    Ok. I just wasn't sure if our gas lines were similar to ones in our outboard or more so like what's in our vehicles. Just wanted to prevent any deterioration of the lines due to the gas I was running. Filled up with the 91 ethanol free stuff yesterday. Sounds like before she goes back into hibernation I'll put some more of the ethanol free stuff in.

Thanks for the feedback

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy00 View Post
    I recently had our pontoon in for repair because the motor would not run. Last time we had it in was 5 yrs ago. Turns out it's for the same thing again. Deteriorating gas lines from gas with ethanol. They showed me the fuel filter and was full of black rubber pieces. The carb was also full of crap.

We only run regular gas mixed 50:1 for the mercury 45hp outboard ...
    The fuel hose that was installed last time was not rated for use with ethanol blended gasoline?

Modern high quality fuel hose should tolerate ethanol without problems. Old school fuel hose product or low quality fuel hoses is a different story.

+1
    Is there a way by looking at the hoses they just replaced on the pontoon?

Sounds like on my gtr atleast I shoud be ok.

Thread Information