Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hose popped off and lost all coolent! :(

Hey guys,
    i took the ski out after fitting a new charger and wearing yesterday, I was out for around an hour and the ski was running perfect! I also fixed my small idle problem that turned out to be the throttle cable being too tight and not allowing the throttle body to fully close. So this was the fist time I had the ski perfect since purchasing it!

But it then my luck chanced for the worse! I all of a suddern got a hi - temp warning followed by a long continuos beep! I had no clue what this was so I idled back to the ramp 5-6 mins away then when I got there I saw steam coming from under the seats then noticed I had no coolent! At this point I realized I should of in no way idled back to the ramp and should of shut the ski down! ( now I know and most likely have learnt the hard way!)

I took it back home and found the bottom hose off the water pump had come off and all my coolent was in the hull! I put it back on with a new clamp and tighted it right up and filled up with water to see if the ski would start. It did start straight up and seemed to rev up fine.

Whats the chances I got away without any damage?

+1
    Should be fine but only can tell with leak down test or go for a ride .

Quote Originally Posted by SLASHER View Post
    Should be fine but only can tell with leak down test or go for a ride .
    I really hope so mate! Fingers crossed!

Ive just ran it on a hose for 3 minutes let it sit for 30 seconds then checked oil then ran it for another further 2 minutes let it sit for 30 seconds then checked oil.
    The oil is in the middle of the 2 bends and is nice and clear! Let's hope it stays that way.

+1
    be carefull running it that long on the hose, you can burn up your carbon ring.

Yeah I know mate, I just really wanted to see if the ski ran ok and if the oil would stay clear. I'm not sure if only running it for that short amount of time is enough to tell if everything is ok but I'm hoping so. The true test will be when I take it back to the water, just hope luck is on my side!

Banned User
    +1
    Your oil level is low as well. It should be as close to the upper bend as possible.

+1
    I had the same thing happen to me but I shut it off right away and looked inside to see all the coolant at the bottom. I then used my collapsible paddle to get me back to the ramp. The clamp broke at the corner of the slot. Since then I changed all the clamps to non-perforated stainless 314, hopefully I'll never have the same type problem ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by eb87 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me but I shut it off right away and looked inside to see all the coolant at the bottom. I then used my collapsible paddle to get me back to the ramp. The clamp broke at the corner of the slot. Since then I changed all the clamps to non-perforated stainless 314, hopefully I'll never have the same type problem ever again.
    yeah I wish I just shut mine off straight away! I didn't think I would of lost all coolant I just thought maby it was low and riding it hard overheated it so idled to the ramp! Now I know how stupid that was! :/

+1
    change all the clamps. especially the exhaust hose ones and the 2 spring clamps going into the ride plate. If it was my ski Id change every single clamp on the ski

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    change all the clamps. especially the exhaust hose ones and the 2 spring clamps going into the ride plate. If it was my ski Id change every single clamp on the ski
    I have mate, this clamp was the only clamp I didn't replace as I didn't have one left to do it at the time, I'm starting to think I didn't tighten the clamp as I knew I was going to replace it but must of forgot when reinstalling the engine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information