Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slipping gears

Slipping gears

My 95 Yamaha waveraider seems just had rebuild motor and new throttle cable installed i took it out and it ran good for a while but i had to get towed in because i would give it throttle and it would not propel its self forward. I'm not too sure what would cause this it almost seems like its slipping gears or something. I'm really getting frustrated with it please HALP MEH!

-Brandon

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brando785 View Post
    My 95 Yamaha waveraider seems just had rebuild motor and new throttle cable installed i took it out and it ran good for a while but i had to get towed in because i would give it throttle and it would not propel its self forward. I'm not too sure what would cause this it almost seems like its slipping gears or something. I'm really getting frustrated with it please HALP MEH!

-Brandon

Hey there Brandon..

first things first welcome to the forum and the old school section.

OK then, there could be one of a choice of a few things going wrong with your Raider.

First of all check to make sure there is no debris in your intake grate.

If that checks out ok then it is likely you have stripped the splines on the end of your driveshaft.
    - If it's not stripped on the shaft then it's probably stripped inside the midshaft coupler.

Another possibility is stripped threads inside either of the drive couplers at the rear of the motor.
    - (pretty rare for that to happen but I've personally achieved it so know it can happen)

A final possibility is the prop has loosened itself.?
    -(again rare but not unheard of.!)

Thank you i really appreciate it. Are any of those challenging to tighten, replace, or repair? and i shouldn't need to remove the motor to repair it should i?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brando785 View Post
    Thank you i really appreciate it. Are any of those challenging to tighten, replace, or repair? and i shouldn't need to remove the motor to repair it should i?

Brandon..

The first and last suggestions are really just a matter of getting underneath the ski with a flashlight and having a look into the intake grate area for debris or the impeller being loose.

If that all checks out.?
    Then start the motor and see if the impeller is turning you'll be able to look in from the jet nozzle to see if it's going around.. DO NOT STICK ANYTHING IN THERE EVER..!!
    - There may be just enough material left on the splines to turn the impeller while it's not under load.!
    - SO.. the pump will likely have to come out to inspect it.!

I have to say if the grate checks out to be clear then my money is on the drive-shaft being stripped.

Not a particularly difficult job to remove the pump to check.
    - Although, You will likely come across issues with bolts being seized in particularly if this has been a craft used in salt water..
    - If it has been.? You could have a bit of a bear on yours hands getting bolts undone without shearing them.?

As for the motor having to come out the answer is NO.
    - even if the midshaft coupler has stripped it's internal splines there is enough room to just shunt the motor forward to remove it.

Is this a two or three cylinder raider.?

+1
    That happens to me when I sucked up a bunch of weeds in the jetpump intake...check that out first

+1
    What hasn't been mentioned is checking your wear ring for clearance. If your impeller / wear ring has been worn down you would have the same issue. I would check the intake to see if you sucked up any trash in the pump. If that checks out inspect your impeller / wear ring clearance. Then check your splines. I have heard of the splines getting stripped but I don't think it is all that common. If you have been riding in shallow water, you can suck up sand and rocks and debris that will prematurely cause cavitation issues due to your wear ring / impeller having too much clearance to provide thrust.. But you said it was running fine then it would not propel you forward....I am thinking you sucked up something. This happened to me the other day. I sucked up a small piece of a stick it was about the diameter of a #2 pencil. It stuck onto the impeller blade and caused cavitation and I couldn't go anywhere. I checked 4 times before I finally found it..... So the smallest thing can change the direction of your water in your pump and cause cavitation issues..... good luck.

I have stripped out a coupling that goes to the driveshaft before that caused this. Splines might strip sure, but the weaker AL coupling tends to go first.

This could be a few different things but start with the easy stuff first.

You might see metal shaving under the coupling. If there is a puddle of oil like most older skis, just dip your fingers in there and see if you feel metal shavings.

Good luck and be sure to post up your results for folks with this issue in the future

soluton

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    I have stripped out a coupling that goes to the driveshaft before that caused this. Splines might strip sure, but the weaker AL coupling tends to go first.

This could be a few different things but start with the easy stuff first.

You might see metal shaving under the coupling. If there is a puddle of oil like most older skis, just dip your fingers in there and see if you feel metal shavings.

Good luck and be sure to post up your results for folks with this issue in the future
    So i began taking the Jet pump assembly apart (keep in mind i bought this waveraider used from someone. I Noticed a rattle sound and the Duct impeller was torn to pieces and sheared apart. i replaced it all the impeller and drive shaft spun freely and with no unstable rotations. i believe the Piece that was sheared off jammed its self preventing the impeller from spinning.

Hey, to shunt it forward do have to disconnect all hoses and wires? or should there be enough to slide it forward no problem?

+1
    What are you trying to do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information