Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

has any one ever needed to refuel durring a Bimini run?

Just curious. We are leaving in a few days to spend a week in Bimini. Both of my skis are not supercharged and plan to bring a bit of spare fuel like 5 gallons. Some of the people we are crossing with have said you should bring 10 gallons extra. I have spoken to about 10 different people who have made this trip and have yet to run across anyone on a newer four stroke ski that has had to refuel on this trip. I have talked to people who have refueled but it was by choice and all admitted the would have not needed to do so to complete the trip. So now I'm curious if anyone has and what dictated that you had to such what conditions made this have to happen.

Safely getting fuel into your ski (unless it right under hood, is very tough to do. One little splash of water and youre toast.

+1
    5 gallons is plenty

+1
    See I said the same thing. I would only refuel if I was going to run out of gas and it seems the concencus is about 10 to 13 Gallons is used on this trip.

We had really rough conditions(6-8ft waves)on the way over to Bimini last August and still didn't need to refuel at sea. I'd recommend bringing an extra tank or two and putting the gas in you ski once you get to Bimini.

+1
    I'd love to make this run. I've seen videos and it just looks like a ton of fun. I've never put my skis in salt water though, I'm still a bit nervous about doing that.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Burned 12.4 gallons on my first run over. 14 on my second run over.

+1
    I've made the crossing 6 times on 3 different seadoos and have never needed fuel on any of them. I can't speak for any other brand but if you have a newer 4-tec seadoo you should have no problem making it over there. I would attempt a trial run at home to get an accurate fuel range for your exact ski just to build confidence. As long as you keep it out of boost... Under ~6200 rpm or put it in ECO mode if your ski has it you should have no problems.

I've always launched from Haulover marina and its 52 miles from ramp to fuel dock.

+1
    I have the 2013 Yamaha FX HO. When I went, it was ~2-4 foot seas, took us 2.5 hours. About the same coming back. Took 13 gallons each way.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Well it looks like I'm the first to need fuel and that's why we pack it on this run lol. More to come on this but both my Kawasaki Ultra LX and Sea Doo GTI need to refuel about 15 miles out from Bimini on the way over have not done the return trip yet I leave Saturday. The Seas Sucked and was crossing with a group of boats this really restricted our speed and also had to burn fuel in returning to boats for assistance that had serious issues 2 boats had to be rescued by sea tow and the coast guard after taking water over the bow and losing power. total endeavor was over 5 hours to get here but still worth it after getting here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information