Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem after Problem, just blew my SC Clutch

Ski: 2009 Yamaha FX SHO

Well my Electrical and exhaust problems are irrelevant compared to the new one, so I got my bike out on the water today it was driving like crap, boost appears to be gone, I can only get to about 48 mph, last week before I had some electrical issues and bad days out on the water I was doing 70 all day. This is my first bike with a super charger, I have already put 25 hours on it in the month I owned it, bought it with 75 hours. So with my heavy hand, that's abusive as all hell on the super charger due to the fact I'm so use to riding 2 strokes and the bikes age I'm assuming my clutch went. The whole air system sounds off from the intake to the exhaust, and I even went back to stock intake and exhaust and it still just doesn't seem right. Maybe the old clutch just met its match after I did the ribbon delete?

Any way, looks like I'm gonna be dumping more money into this thing, any recommendations on what to do? Should I just replace the clutch with oem clutch or should I upgrade to the 2013 + clutch and 57 tooth gear? Money of course sucks to be wasted but I would rather spend more and deal with less problems if you know what I mean. Thanks again. Fellas

+1
    Are you assuming its the clutch or did you check it? If the clutch is bad, yes, 2013 kit is the only way to go.

Just going off what I could search so far, I burnt my self to many times today to wanna check when I got off the water, I'm gonna take the intake off and check with my finger tomorrow see if the SC spins in one direction or both directions. I'd enjoy it if it wasn't broke and its somthing else, will see

+1
    Betcha one of the lower IC boots blew off. It's not so easy to kill a clutch with just the stock boost, but you have realized trying to ride it like a 2 smoke can still be a factor. I would give all you IC boots n clamps a good once over.

Hopefully it's something breezy like that for ya. If not, then time for the 2 way check & possibly doing the 13'+ upgrade.

Just went back & read the issue was post ribbon delete, which would make me suspect a IC boot/boost leak as the culprit. May have to check on the TB adapter too.

Just went into the SC with my fingers, apparently it's not broke, will only spin in the one direction, no give at all going the other way with it

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Don't Rev it on trailer or you will be replacing clutches

So after inspecting the SC and not finding any problems I took the bike back out and I am getting up to 58 at 6800 rpms, the ski sounds way to loud, I'm back to stock asides from the ribbon delete. Any suggestions what to do now? All the same problems as everyone with a bad clutch but my clutch is solid, I have checked three different times, and no I dont ever start the bike out of water

+1
    The manual clutch spin test doesn't always mean your clutch is good.

Should I take it off and apart to inspect it than? Just want to fix it as fast as possible, I was gonna take out the injectors and clean them out as my next step, but I'll open up the SC if that's my best bet

Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post
    Betcha one of the lower IC boots blew off. It's not so easy to kill a clutch with just the stock boost, but you have realized trying to ride it like a 2 smoke can still be a factor. I would give all you IC boots n clamps a good once over.

Hopefully it's something breezy like that for ya. If not, then time for the 2 way check & possibly doing the 13'+ upgrade.

Just went back & read the issue was post ribbon delete, which would make me suspect a IC boot/boost leak as the culprit. May have to check on the TB adapter too.
    I'm thinking maybe a boot came off too, just doesn't make sense for it to be the super charger, every post I read about bad clutches says wheel spins in both directions and apparently when its the clutch u can't get over 5000 rpm, I'm getting to 6800 from stand still to full throttle, than 7000 fully opened up on flat water, when I took it out today and had a quarter tank it was running at 60mph on the guage, I know that's not accurate but it was going above the 50 it was doing originally earlier the day prior.

I ran some sea foam in the gas and I took out the injectors and cleaned them, I am probably still gonna take out the charger to give it a look but will definitely be taking out the throttle body first and inspecting all the connections on the SC. Still the one thing that bothers me is that the bike sounds weird, its running louder than it should it just seems like the SC and the air components are working to hard or working against somthing.

Ill be spending the week taking her apart and checking everything, hopefully its nothing I can't find and fix. Thanks for the advice fellas I'm gonna keep on investigating, any more ideas or tips are always welcome. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information