Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

gp1200r premix without block off

I just rebuilt the top end on my millennium edition 1200r and i was wondering if i could drain the oil tank and run premix? I will eventually do the block off plate, probably next week just wanted to have it on the water for the 4th. I took it out to test and it stalled a few times, fired back up after sitting a few minutes, thinking it might have siezed for a second, if I still have good compression I dont want to risk it anymore.

How are you breaking it in?
    And why the hell would you want to do that? A fresh top end isn't the time to dick around. Run your injection, even add 50 or 60:1 to the gas tank for some extra oiling. Seat the rings properly for a good service life. Gather the parts you need and do it right.

I want to do this because I want to make sure its getting oil and didnt know if i'd be good to run both oil and premix without fouling plugs like crazy. I let it idle on the trailer with the hose for 5-10 minutes, shut it off, drove it to the resevoir, about 10 mins away, put it in the water and didnt go past 1/2 throttle for about 15-20mins, let it sit at the dock to cool for about 20 minutes, put back in went to about 3/4 for about 10mins before the sky fell in. ran good but stalled a few times and when it stalled, if i hit the button right away it acted like it didnt want to spin, wait 30sec to a minute and it would fire up & run fine. I hear ya about taking some time and doing it right but when i got this thing about 6 weeks ago the goal was to have it ready by the 4th and with all the extra stuff going on i cut it a little too close

I appreciate the info on the premix + oil injection though, will add oil to the gas tomorrow.

Man if you think for sec its not getting oiling I wouldn't run it. May want to go through the carbs and start with fresh baseline settings.

I hear that only reason i even suspect it is because its not smoking as much as it was at idle, the old piston had a ring sideways in the cylinder and smoked like crazy on the trailer at idle. Next step is to go through the carbs, i know it needs it but didnt get the carb kits in the package deal i got with the ski, just havent had ANY extra cash lately.

If it stalled a couple times and when you hit the start button it acted like it didn't want to turn over, I think you have already scuffed a piston. Did you check compression after that ride??

Just got it in the shop, no compression on the middle cylinder. Dead till next year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	364190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	364190 Pistons toast

That stinks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information