Is This a good deal?

There is a pair of skis available for sale wherre I live and was wondering what you guys thought. they both are 2003's and one is an ultra 150 that is in great condition and runs great. The other is a 1100zxi that needs a new pump. Comes with a decent trailer and he is asking 3995. Here is the link to the CL ad. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,

oregontow541
    http://medford.craigslist.org/boa/5104011038.html
    Last edited by richluker929; 07-02-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: title was misspelled

That is an 02 ultra 150 not an 03, i would entertain the package possibly talk him down depending on how the inside of the hulls look. A pump for a zx1100 can pick up a very good used for close to 100 bucks plus 50ar rebuild kit... then depends on what the impeller looks like. That 02 ultra would go for atleast!!!! 2500 alone

+1
    Sounds like a deal--IF they're like he describes them. Make sure to run the Ultra 150 in the water! If you're new to JetSkis, he may be reluctant to let you ride it. That's OK, watch him ride it. It should do 60 or better. Check for water in the hull as a sign of a bad driveshaft seal. Find out about the engine history. If it's original, or has been topped with original parts, that's good. If it's got SBT parts in it, I'd knock off a thousand bucks to do it over right. Keep in mind that if it's got 200 hours on the engine, it's due for a top overhaul ($800 if you do it yourself). Make sure the display works, they're expensive. It's old enough that it will need a fuel level sensor soon, if not already ($325). It'll probably need a new oil pump cable, too.

If the pump is bad on the ZXi, you don't want to run it. However, I'd certainly do a compression test. Might as well do a compression test on the Ultra, too.

Both will likely need new oil hoses.

Thanks guys for the info! I paid 3 for the pair and the trailer. The ultra runs great and I'll get the 1100 going this next week. Both skis are super clean and well maintained completely stock. Again thanks for the input.

If they're as good as described, $4K isn't bad. What I never understand though is why somebody wouldn't fix the machine before trying to sell it. If it's an "easy fix" and the parts are only $175, then why didn't the seller do it before trying to sell? It would be worth an extra $500 easy if it were water ready.

Like steve suggested, make sure to run the Ultra in the water. I'd even consider putting the ZXI in the water as well just to check for leaks. Run a compression test on both, all three cylinders should be within 5psi of each other. Try to get as much info as possible from the seller, including repair history and modifications.

That at is a really nice trailer.

[edit] If you paid $3K, you basically got the ZXI for free.

+1
    Make sure that there are drain holes in the trailer. I've had a couple of double trailers without drain holes and they rust out quickly!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by atvman View Post
    If they're as good as described, $4K isn't bad. What I never understand though is why somebody wouldn't fix the machine before trying to sell it. If it's an "easy fix" and the parts are only $175, then why didn't the seller do it before trying to sell? It would be worth an extra $500 easy if it were water ready.

Like steve suggested, make sure to run the Ultra in the water. I'd even consider putting the ZXI in the water as well just to check for leaks. Run a compression test on both, all three cylinders should be within 5psi of each other. Try to get as much info as possible from the seller, including repair history and modifications.

That at is a really nice trailer.

[edit] If you paid $3K, you basically got the ZXI for free.
    A lot of people do not have time to work on things because of their work schedule or just do not even want to deal with it for the extra couple hundred of dollars.

Thread Information