Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help 2001 Polaris Virage only run perfect if i spray fuel in the carb

hello,

I need help with my 2001 Polaris Virage 700 single carb. the ski is in perfect condition except that it wont run in the water. I guess not so perfect lol. but when Im in the water if a spray some fuel in the carbs it allows me to throttle and go like if nothing was wrong. once I stop the spraying of fuel through the carbs it wont pass idle and if i just try to give it throttle it shuts off. when out of the water the ski runs and revs perfect (of course its not under load). any help would be greatly appreciated.

K447 can you chime in on this issue?

the only thing I haven't checked is the Reeds but not sure if it would cause the issue Im having.

anybody that can provide some help would be awesome.
    thanks,

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWho View Post
    the only thing I haven't checked is the Reeds but not sure if it would cause the issue Im having....
    What else have you checked?

Cylinder compression?

Have you done a carburetor rebuild?

Once you spray some fuel into carb throat to get the engine revving in the water, it continues to run at speed without any further manual fuel spraying, correct?

Ok so I cleaned the carbs the other day the best I could everything looked pretty clean but went through with the cleaning process anyways. And then weirdest thing happened the fuel/water separator when trying to crank it would fill up with fuel and the ski wouldn't start. So I unplugged the fuel sender plug and it was getting a constant 9.2 volts. So I decided let me run current to the fuel sender plug while trying to crank it and it started to fill up the fuel/ water separator bowl and the ski cranked and ran fine out of the water. So I took it yesterday to the canal and it ran good and definitely passed idle and ran good except for when trying to go wot it would bog down but at least I'm getting some progressive. So was kinda happy about that. So what could it be now? one small detail I don't have the element in the fuel/water separator it's missing.

Correction on my second sentence the fuel/ water separator wouldn't fill up.

Note after going up and down a few times it seemed to be harder to find clean throttle spots where the ski would run good. Like if the carbs were getting dirty again or something.

+1
    Correction on my second sentence the fuel/ water separator wouldn't fill up.
    Ok so I cleaned the carbs the other day the best I could everything looked pretty clean but went through with the cleaning process anyways.

And then weirdest thing happened the fuel/water separator when trying to crank it would fill up with fuel and the ski wouldn't start.

So I unplugged the fuel sender plug and it was getting a constant 9.2 volts. So I decided let me run current to the fuel sender plug while trying to crank it and it started to fill up the fuel/ water separator bowl and the ski cranked and ran fine out of the water.

...l I don't have the element in the fuel/water separator it's missing.
    The carburetor engines do NOT have an electric fuel pump. The fuel pump is mechanical and is part of the carburetor assembly, powered by a pulse hose to the crank case.

The level sender is a variable resistor and is NOT supposed to have more than a couple of volts applied. You do NOT want sparks inside the fuel tank, so do NOT connect the fuel sender to battery voltage!

The MFI display provides controlled and voltage limited DC power to the fuel sender in the fuel tank. If the fuel level is reading correctly, do not mess with the fuel sender wiring.

The fuel/water separator is filled by the fuel pump applying suction to the fuel feed hose. The fuel pump on the carburetor sucks the air out of the hose, which in turn draws fuel from the tank into the separator. from there, the fuel flows to the fuel pump, and then into the actual carburetor.

There are two o-rings inside the separator, one for the inner metal filter element. Both must be in good condition but the large o-ring that seals to the lid must be 100% air tight. It is critical that the entire fuel feed from tank to engine must be air tight. Any leaks will allow air into the fuel supply and the engine cannot run properly.

It is common for the gear clamps on fuel hoses to crush the small hose and create uneven clamping pressure on the hose fitting, resulting in air leaks. I prefer the Oetiker style ear clamps for fuel hoses. Much more even clamping pressure and they will not undo over time.

If you still have the original fuel shut-off valve then it may also be leaking air into the fuel feed. The internal rubber part gets hard with age and cannot seal properly. These are not really repairable, the recommendation is to replace with a new valve. If you bypass the shut-off valve for testing be aware that it is primarily a safety device. Sun heat can cause excess pressure in the fuel tank and force liquid fuel into the engine if there is no valve, creating a fire/explosion hazard.

Watcon sells replacement valves, along with many other useful parts, including genuine OEM carb rebuild kits specifically for Polaris.

Thanks im going to to check the fuel shut off valve and check all the fitting properly. I did notice that the little short hose that comes from i guess comes from the crank (under the carbs) to the carb was in really bad shape and looks crusty in the inside. Im thinking of replacing it. Is that one fuel as well? Thanks for your help. Hopefully i can get this ski running back to normal. Im watching a element online because i cant find
    it new.

+1
    Thanks im going to to check the fuel shut off valve and check all the fitting properly. I did notice that the little short hose that comes from i guess comes from the crank (under the carbs) to the carb was in really bad shape and looks crusty in the inside. Im thinking of replacing it. Is that one fuel as well?

The short hose between engine crankcase and carburetor is the 'pulse hose' that powers the fuel pump. That pulse hose must be in good condition and stiff enough to not collapse with suction pulses as the piston moves up and down. It must also be properly clamped/sealed at both ends.

The fuel pump is powered by alternating pulses of air pressure and vacuum as the crankcase alternately compresses air into the combustion chamber and then sucks in another gulp of air through the intake reeds. It does this pulse cycle every engine revolution, up to several thousand times per minute at high RPM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information