Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry HELP - Need a new trailer the Triton LT has got to go

Need help finding a better trailer as this Triton dual ski LT has blown 3 tires now in 3 years, I keep it below 65MPH but I think anything over 55MPH is too fast for these little 12 inch tires. Which by the way are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, it has gotten so bad I keep 3 spares now - I don't tow that far generally no longer than a 45 mins. Another down side is every time I have lost a tire it's all at once with no warning which takes out the fender and light assembly (another $85 every time) which also shorts out the wiring and blows vehicle fuses. Just an hour ago when a tire went again it tore off the aluminum fender mount that was welded to the frame and almost went through my new ski so I'm done with this Triton. SO what do you guys use to pull skis long distances as I plan on doing some off shore stuff as my oldest daughter move toward a coastal area six to seven hours away? I would like something with at least 13 inch tires so they would be cheaper and easier to find but 14 inches would be even better, would prefer aluminum but at this point I would take even steel as I want something I can depend on to get there - would even go tandem axle as I just want to be able to tow my skis with out worrying about damaging them or being stuck on the side of the interstate which is happening too often. TIA

+1
    Will a 13" tire fit on your trailer maybe??

Bias tire has a ply rating of 8 and a 1,725-lb maximum load at 65 psi. The 13" diameter x 4-1/2" wide steel trailer wheel features a 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern and a corrosion-resistant powder coat finish.

I think the 12" tire with a "c" rating is around 1050-lb

+1
    Do you have staright axel or torsion? I have 13" radials on my torsion and I have dragged that sucker all over the US. As long as you keep the tire pressure right and grease it regularly it should be fine.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Is your trailer overloaded? What do you have on it and what is the weight capacity of the trailer? I have logged probably 200,000 miles towing trailers and have never had a tire blow out or a flat. Something isnt right. You could be underinflated or have a bent axle that is causing issues getting the tires hot. Or maybe you are buying crappy tires.

I dont know where you are but finding 12 inch tires is no problem where i am from.

5. +1 by:

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit44 View Post
    Need help finding a better trailer as this Triton dual ski LT has blown 3 tires now in 3 years, I keep it below 65MPH but I think anything over 55MPH is too fast for these little 12 inch tires. Which by the way are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, it has gotten so bad I keep 3 spares now - I don't tow that far generally no longer than a 45 mins. Another down side is every time I have lost a tire it's all at once with no warning which takes out the fender and light assembly (another $85 every time) which also shorts out the wiring and blows vehicle fuses. Just an hour ago when a tire went again it tore off the aluminum fender mount that was welded to the frame and almost went through my new ski so I'm done with this Triton. SO what do you guys use to pull skis long distances as I plan on doing some off shore stuff as my oldest daughter move toward a coastal area six to seven hours away? I would like something with at least 13 inch tires so they would be cheaper and easier to find but 14 inches would be even better, would prefer aluminum but at this point I would take even steel as I want something I can depend on to get there - would even go tandem axle as I just want to be able to tow my skis with out worrying about damaging them or being stuck on the side of the interstate which is happening too often. TIA
    There is something wildly incorrect going on. Those 'little' 12 inch tires should have no trouble supporting a fully loaded Triton double trailer.

What tire air pressure are you using? I recall those should be Load Range E which requires 80 PSI.

What tire load range are you using? Single or double Triton LT?

I retro fitted 13 inch tires on my own 2008 Triton double but I have the Elite model with torsion axle. I did have to raise the frame 1/2" with aluminum spacers to have enough fender clearance over bumps.

If your Triton is a single then the tires should be way more than enough to carry the load at any sane speed.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    the only thing I didn't like about these was the plastic fenders.
    http://www.tritontrailers.com/produc...&info=features
    I have had no issues with the plastic fenders on my Triton Elite double. Stand on them all the time. Easy to replace if damaged.

+1
    Look at the weight rating on the tires once, those 12" tires usually are around 750lbs, some more depending on how many ply they are, the 2 skis you have listed + the trailer I'm guessing you are a few hundred lbs overloaded. I have 8" tires on my trailer & have went across country a couple times at a steady 75mph with no problems, I'm about 200 below my weight limit. If you can get 13" to fit that should solve your problem, they have about double the weight capacity. Remember, one good bouncing bump could really increase the load force on those tires with 2 heavy skis on the trailer.

+1
    You have other issues somewhere . Too Low or too high air pressure...

I have had 3 Tritions in my stable... Still have a Elite 2 place with torsion and 4 place Trition trailer..... NEVER had any issues with blown tires... And dragged it with either 2 RXPS or 1 RXP and Wake Pro on the double....
    Tritions are the best trailers on the PWC market.. Hands down

DG

+1
    Agree with everyone here..Triton makes the best trailer...Sounds like your dealer DID NOT sell you the correct tires for your trailer. Should have an "E" rating if i remember correctly. I too have towed my trailer everywhere and had no problems...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information