Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 polaris genesis i starts fine but high revs to WOT

Hoping K447 will find this post quick .

So ski starts fine but right when it starts it high revs to WOT and I kill it quickly as it sounds like its going to blow... Put on an OMC TPS last year for a similar issue. Could I have an issue that is not the TPS or is it just faulty again? It is the non pigtail tps.

+1
    Possible Air leak.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does it rev high if the TPS is unplugged when it starts?

Does engaging Reverse limit the RPM to about 3500?
    If yes (Reverse RPM limiter may not be present on the 2000 model ), does it settle down to a normal idle if you let it bump the rev limiter for 10-15 seconds?

The Ficht engines are not greatly affected by crankcase air leaks, unlike the carburetor engines.

K447, I'll be tinkering with the ski in an hour or so to prep for the holiday weekend, so I'll comment back after giving the unplugging a shot.

Also anyone know the app to download to access the forum via iphone?

Ok K447, i unplugged tps and it fires right up and idles just as it should. Of course when I give it gas it bogs. Does that mean the TPS needs to be replaced?

Also on the display it is showing check engine ' engine overheat'. I have not have any overheat symptoms, and I know for certain it has not gotten hot enough to do any damage because its barely been on. any thoughts on how to also remove/reset the warning?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grover.gator View Post
    ... I unplugged tps and it fires right up and idles just as it should. Of course when I give it gas it bogs. Does that mean the TPS needs to be replaced?

Also on the display it is showing check engine ' engine overheat'. I have not have any overheat symptoms, and I know for certain it has not gotten hot enough to do any damage because its barely been on. any thoughts on how to also remove/reset the warning?
    Is the MFI display showing BOTH the Check Engine and the Overheat messages?

If you reconnect the TPS does it start high revving again?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grover.gator View Post
    K447 ...

Also anyone know the app to download to access the forum via iphone?
    The greenhulk forum works with the Tapatalk app. Not great, but it works. I think I have the paid-for version

Last time I checked you can access Greenhulk.net directly from the Safari browser, even on an iPhone

No need to address posts directly to me. There are other contributing members on here

Thanks for the app help.

As fas as the ski goes , yes it cycles through the check engine, engine overheat messages with flashing light. I did not have this prior but have not started it in a couple months.

When the tps (non pigtail tps) is unplugged it idles perfectly, when I plug it back in it starts right up normally but then after that the rpms are much higher than idle. Previously each time I started it went straight to wide open throttle every time I started it, now its every few goes to wide open and the others is kinda spastic sounding high/low routine. I would describe it similar to the sound it would make if holding the throttle while the ski is in the neutral drive position. I also want to note I have 3 tps (can't really say any of them are good as they're all ones I've snagged off used skis) and when I plugged each one of them in last night it was the same sounds symptoms.

I'm going to call my local evinrude dealer this am and see if they have a tps in stock. Guess it would be good to try a new one.

+1
    Unplug the exhaust temp sensor, which is located on the big exhaust pipe. Two pin Deutsch connector with pink and black wires. Sometimes these sensors get cooked during an engine overheat condition. See if the display changes the warnings.

If Overheat warning goes away but the Check Engine warning continues, then there is something still wrong that the EMM does not like, and the problem is currently present right now.

The MFI display will not display stored trouble codes. The EMM will recover promptly when the trouble cause is corrected, there is no need to reset the codes to restore proper EMM function.

That said, it is possible to read the stored trouble codes using a Simple LED code reading tool. I have posted a how-to elsewhere, see my signature for the links, in the Ficht section.

The normal approach is to read the currently stored codes, make note of them. These will include codes from older history and often includes codes caused by unplugging stuff during diagnostics.

Clear all the old codes, then restart the engine. Shut engine down, then read EMM codes again. Whatever codes are present represent what the EMM is seeing since the last code clearing. Make note of these fresh trouble codes.

Ok I'll go try and find a radio shack that has not closed its doors for the led test light.

Unplugged the exhaust temp sensor and display is the same as prior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information