+1

Angry 2002 Yamaha 1200 xlt D-plate install

I recently bought a 2002 1200 xlt with 72 hrs. on it. I am attempting to do the d-plate myself (I am no mechanic, but I am pretty capable of doing most jobs) but it's starting to get frustrating. What is the best way to get the exhaust out of the ski? I can see there is 2 bolt underneath on a plate I already disconnected from the motor that seem to be holding everything together, but I'm not sure how to get those bolts out or back in when I'm done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have not done it but I researched what was involved. If you buy/find the service manual it mentions what you have to pull out to service the Cat conv. The service manual will reference first other steps found in other sections, then additional steps. I can tell you that I saw a video (search around for cat replacement or D plate) where I guy did it with removing less stuff but putting it back took some more patience.

After fully looking at what I needed to do, I looked at my Ski and turned out , the previous owner already had the D plate & Chip done.

2 bolts that mount to number 2 and 3 cylinders.
    Single bolt that's to the aft side of number 3, I remove the 2 bolts that hold the mount also
    Loosen the rubber coupler that holds the stinger to the "U" pipe, slide it forward. Loosen the greyish clamp
    Loosed the clamp just below the batter where the stinger exits the engine bay.

You should at that point be able to twist it out. It will taken some finagle'n. Remove any sensors or hoses also.

+1
    I had everything out except the vent hose and the hose that attaches to the top of the exhaust. Once I removed those, the thing almost fell out. Thanks for the replies!

Thread Information