Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris MSX150 blowing smoke at idle.

Hey guys, thanks for adding me to you forum. Firstly, this is not my ski, nor have i ever owned one, but my Father in Law decided to buy this one, & because i'm the mechanic in the family, i get to work on it.
    As mentioned in the title, its a Polaris MSX150 Turbo. Apparently it had beed sitting in a storage shed for about 5 years. It's got low hrs on it, (can't remember now, but under 100) & looks like it's been looked after. However, after getting it home & starting it on the trailer, it blew oil everywhere, which we now know it was over full. After following the instructions from the manual & this forum, we drained excess oil & tried again. This time it was fine, so we put it in the water for a run. It stalled a few times, but after it seemed to warm up it went like a shot cat. The problem i have is at idle, it bellows smoke from the exhaust. As soon as you touch the throttle to move away, it seems to stop smoking. At first i thought Turbo, but after reading a few forums, there are some other causes for this. Warped block, lining coming off cylinders. All of the threads i followed that had the same symtoms just stoped without resolve. Am i over thinking it & its just clearing the oil that would be in the inlet & intercooler from being over full? The only smoking at idle is throwing me. I haven't compression tested it yet as it starts fine but i will do.
    Any help would be appreciated. The local boat mechanic told him to get out a flog it for a good hour to burn the oil out of it, I'm pretty sure thats not out of the Polaris workshop manual.
    Thanks guys

+1
    Compression test is a must for any of these machines that are acquired. And the intake tract is likely all full of oil, including the intercooler. The MAP sensors are now likely suspect (but wouldn't be causing a smoke issue) and can cause running issues. (Are you sure its smoking, and not just normal exhaust fumes condensing on the water? Does it smoke on the trailer?)

Hey HiPeRcO, Don't know about smoking on the trailer but its a oil smoke in the water. I work away and will be home on the weekend so i will check the compression & give it a run on the trailer. Like i said, just smoking at idle is not making sence.

+1
    Oh, and welcome to GH!

+1
    Welcome.
    Can you better describe "it blew oil everywhere"? Where was it coming out? Where did you find oil?
    While I agree this is very likely due to overfilling the oil tank, I'm curious about what happened in you case.

Pull the turbo-to-intercooler(IC) hose off, oily gunk in there? Pull the IC-to-intake hardpipe off, oily gunk in there? If the MAP sensor in the hardpipe has gunk on it... it will likely cause you issues. You can try gently cleaning it with hot soapy water (avoid brake cleaner)... but many report fouled MAPs needing to be replaced. If oil was ingested bad enough and made it all the way to the intake manifold (push open throttle body butterfly and inspect w/ flashlight)... you may have fouled the 2nd MAP sensor (forward side of intake manifold). Any oil gunk needs cleaned out. If it's bad enough... it's probably contaminated the IC as well. Proper cleaning of the IC requires removing (a pain) it to soak, wash, rinse and dry. If you don't and it's got pooled oily gunk in the bottom of it... it'll continue to cough up the gunk over time (usually under full boost) and continue to cause you issues and/or possibly foul more MAPs. Best to ensure it's clean once and for all.

There is a long hose going from the oil separator (cyclone thing on battery side of oil tank) across the exhaust manifold to the airbox at the turbo compressor inlet. This hose is what causes all oil ingestion (except for blown turbos). Remove it and plumb the oil separator into a vented catch can (soda bottle with steel wool in it will suffice until prettier one is found).

When you start the ski on the trailer... always engage Reverse first. The Weber engine will rev sky high with no load on it... usually if you touch the throttle.

As for the other common issues: Warped block is caused by a bad overheat... usually after plastic waterpump drive gear breaks. Nikasil plating failure can happen anytime so check your compression. Oil ingestion... you got it. Bad SIFB... common electrical failure... caused starting/stopping issues and 3400 rev limiting issues. Starting trouble... low battery... needs strong battery w/ 10.6v while cranking minimum. Hard starting in the water... low compression... check your compression.

Good luck!
    Cheers!

Thanks Ripcuda, like i said i will be home on the weekend to check all you have mentioned. Hopefull a good clean will fix the problem. I wasn't there when my father in law first started it, so "it blew everywhere" was his words. I will pinpoint where the oil came from as well.
    Thanks again.

Just a quick update, had to buy a compression tester that fits down into plugs, it should arrive this week. It smokes at idle on the trailer & the oil came out the top of the oil reservoir. It must have been very full as it did this when it was just started before it was even warm.

+1
    I would eliminate the extra oil per spec before attempting to start again. While there go ahead and clean/inspect intake tract. Then proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greenwood View Post
    I would eliminate the extra oil per spec before attempting to start again. While there go ahead and clean/inspect intake tract. Then proceed.
    Already underway Mark. I would also like to compression test as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information