Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 GTX Premix Fouling Plugs

I have a 97 gtx i took out of storage after 2 years. I replaced the starter & it runs however after just a 10 minute drive and parking it, I was unable to re-start the sea doo. I pulled the plugs and they were black and wet with oil. Replaced them again and it fired right up. The plugs that were installed the first time were brand new. I am hoping it was just because all the winterizing stuff and fogger stuff down in the cylinder caused them to foul early but I feel like maybe I need to cut back on the oil per fuel mix. I dont really want to run the oil pump as our last engine ate itself from a failed pump. As far as i know the carb settings are stock and it runs fine but I dont feel I should be fouling out plugs that quick even with premix. I am running 50:1 should/can I cut back to 40:1? I dont wanna cut it too much and wear anything out sooner.

What are your thoughts? Just cut back the oil to fuel a bit & see how she does?

40:1 is more oil than 50:1. 40:1 is actually the correct ratio.

Premixing 40:1 should not be fouling plugs. Did you do a proper oil pump block off?

Quote Originally Posted by ACA1996XP View Post
    40:1 is more oil than 50:1. 40:1 is actually the correct ratio.

Sorry, I am actually running 40:1 right now. I will see how it does tomorrow but if i foul more plugs can i cut back to 50:1 safely? I literally only put 10 minutes on her earlier then parked it and checked for leaks etc. It wouldnt start back up 4 hours later. I swapped the plugs and it fired up in 1 second and i drove it for 20-30 minutes. I have less than 12 gallons in it from this morning and am on the 2nd set of plugs. I will know more tomorrow after i put some time into her on the water but if the issue persist what should i do?

I am running ngk plugs & sea doo brand oil. I am running 93 octane fuel and add the oil per 5 gallons after loading the gas. This sea doo sat for 2 years until now and the starter was seized but I replaced that and it fired right up. Carbs were rebuilt before storage 2 years ago and all fuel lines were replaced 2-3 years ago during the last motor install.

Quote Originally Posted by ACA1996XP View Post
    Premixing 40:1 should not be fouling plugs. Did you do a proper oil pump block off?
    A shop did the oil block off but they also screwed some me out of $$ and ultimately I took it to another shop to fix their mistakes. They were a nightmare to deal with and I almost scraped the sea doo all together after dealing with them.

I am mechanically inclined but not a boat mechanic. I did the engine swap but had to take it to a shop to tweak it and fix some gremlins a while back regarding the carbs and tuning. I replaced the starter yesterday and got her running. Is there a sticky or how to for the proper oil block off I can check out? The shop said i still need to put oil in the oil tank as well as the gas. The oil reservoir is full.

I'm currently breaking in a new motor (same bomb) running pre-mix & the oil injection without issue. My plugs have looked a bit wet & oily but it starts every time with a bit of choke & a few cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by demne View Post
    I'm currently breaking in a new motor (same bomb) running pre-mix & the oil injection without issue. My plugs have looked a bit wet & oily but it starts every time with a bit of choke & a few cranks.
    I couldn't start it this morning. It would start and run for about 1-2 seconds then stop. Changed plugs and same results. I tried again 5 hours later and took it for a 40 minute ride with no issues.

+1
    Maybe the crankshaft seal is leaking. you should have the oil tank still installed and full so you have oil for the rotary shaft and it could leak into cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Maybe the crankshaft seal is leaking. you should have the oil tank still installed and full so you have oil for the rotary shaft and it could leak into cylinders

I'm bribing my folks into bringing it home for me. I couldn't start it at all again today. I charged the battery and it cranks but won't start. I'm going to bring it home and go over everything. I have the following problems

-12v low constantly 'rectifier bad probably'
    -idles at 900-1000 but sounds rough to me
    -have to ease into throttle from idle or it dies
    -blips around 4500rpm-5000rpm, doesn't seem smooth there
    -cranks but won't start sometimes or starts and instantly does
    -fuel gauge shows low all the time
    -speed sensor doesn't work only shows rpm
    -feet liners are coming up and need to be replaced
    -if it's running and someone stands on the back of the ski while its at idle the ski will turn off immediately
    -the throttle cable is broken but rigged for now and the throttle bracket lever is also stripped and needs replacement

Those are just a few things. I will make a list and a new thread when I get her home. Hoping to buy another set of carbs to rebuild while its home and check the carb settings.

i will check their oil pump delete while its home and decide if I wanna put a pump in or not. If it will run like it did when it was brand new with premix I would rather stay that route but time will tell. So far she has been a bag of headaches again. Trying to do all the work myself. If I can get her running properly for under $500 in parts again I will keep it. Otherwise it might be time to sell her off and enjoy the boat for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    How can I go about checking that seal? I'll take a look while everything is out in a week or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information