+1

picked up my first gp.....2000 gp1200r.

Hello all....like the title says, got my first gpr, and I'm HOOKED! THIS THING AIN'T LIKE MY WAVE VENTURE! Anyway, a couple of questions. First...do you have to remove the exhaust to be able to do ANYTHING to it? (As in working on it?) Second, how are the oil lines on these, did Yamaha fix the oil lines on these, or is tygon lines and oetiker clamps in order? It has a d plate, but no chip, doesn't throw a code. No wave eater clips, have some on the way. Also needs a steer cable, wear ring, and prop. (Big shout out to 2fast4u for the impeller!) Compression is perfect 120 across the board. I can't believe it made it 125 hours with no clips! Plan on doing OSB'S carb mods this winter. Gonna get it reliable, and enjoy the remainder of summer. Last question, do you need any gaskets when removing exhaust for service? Thanks. Jack Ivey

You can change the spark plugs without pulling the exhaust.

I have a 2000 as well but only made it to 80hrs. I would recommend checking the oil lines and putting some clamps on just for peace of mind or go ahead and replace the ones that go to the carbs and make them longer so the don't pop off like the stock ones. From what I have read smear marine grease on the metal gaskets and reuse them if they look good. Also read to not cruise in the mid range with stock jetted carbs because they are lean.

+1
    you can get to the carbs without completely removing the exhaust. but you will have to do practically everything but pulling out the temp sensor wire and literally pulling the stinger out of the ski. undo all the bolts holding it to the head cover, loosen the hose clamps on the outside front water jacket, and slide it forward. loosen the hose clamps on the blueish gray rubber coupling on the inside for the exhaust. undo the hose clamp for the sucction bilge strainer on the back top of the stinger. loosen the first hose clamp on the exhaust coupling at the bottom port side of the ski. undo the one bolt holding the stinger to the case, and with some wiggling and pulling etc you can basically twish the stinger up and over towards the port side of the ski and then get access to the carbs. DONT hit your spark plugs!!! they will break.

+1
    I think the carbs are OK in the midrange. The notorious midrange seizure happens when you try to run stock jetting with aftermarket FA's.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70129

According to this it was due to replacing the cat with a d plate.

Thread Information