2000 Polaris Virage TX

So I've hit a dead end at my local dealer. I'm told the ski is too old and they can't get parts for it. So it looks like I am on my own. My 2000 Virage TX has an intermittent ignition problem or what I think is ignition. During operation it will intermittently loose power and sound like it is running on 1 or 2 cylinders. If I shut the engine down and restart it will be back up to full power. It does not seem to be heat related because it happens when the engine is hot or cold also I do not have to what to restart. I shut it down and immediately restart and the ski is fine so there is no waiting for a cool down cycle. One other item, if this helps is that at the same time this started the tach started behaving erratically and has now quit working all together. It does function on the display reset but after the I get no reading from it anymore. I am thinking that it is the CDI but before I start replacing a $500 part on a guess I am looking for an opinion. Any help is appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

This is a carburetor engine or fuel injected?

Please be more specific about what the MFI display is actually doing. Is it just the tachometer that is not showing RPM, but the rest of the display is working correctly?

When you press the Display button to show digital RPM at the bottom, does the RPM show 0000 ?

My first suspicion is that the LR-505 Start/Stop module (carb engine) is failing.

You can bypass the LR-505 for testing purposes. I have posted the method previously, search for my posts with LR-505 in the title.

The other possibility that comes to mind is the magneto stator charging coil may be failing, or have a wiring problem. The stator charging coil Yellow wire is also used to feed the MFI display tachometer. First bypass the LR module, see if that improves the engine operation.

Note that with the LR module bypassed there will be no battery charging, so the battery must be well charged before testing.

Thank you for your response.

This is a carbureted 1200 with Gen III ignition system.

The display properly goes through its initial start up. All the components light up. The bar portion of the tach displays nothing during operation the digital part when selected shows all zeros. All other functions gas, oil and clock are functioning normally.

I am going to get it out on the lake this weekend and can do some diagnostic testing.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Please be more specific about what the MFI display is actually doing. Is it just the tachometer that is not showing RPM, but the rest of the display is working correctly?

When you press the Display button to show digital RPM at the bottom, does the RPM show 0000 ?

My first suspicion is that the LR-505 Start/Stop module (carb engine) is failing.

You can bypass the LR-505 for testing purposes. I have posted the method previously, search for my posts with LR-505 in the title.

The other possibility that comes to mind is the magneto stator charging coil may be failing, or have a wiring problem. The stator charging coil Yellow wire is also used to feed the MFI display tachometer. First bypass the LR module, see if that improves the engine operation.

Note that with the LR module bypassed there will be no battery charging, so the battery must be well charged before testing.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Read up on how to do the bypass of the LR-505 module.

You can ride the machine normally with the module bypassed, with two caveats;
    No battery charging, so no long rides which will run the battery down and kill the ignition.

Only the lanyard will be able to stop the engine. The Start/Stop button will ONLY start the engine, it will not be able to stop the engine with the module bypassed.

You can water test the machine while strapped to the trailer, on the launch ramp. Must be strapped down front and rear, with the jet pump intake submerged in the water. This will provide normal cooling for the engine and you can apply throttle. Remove the seat to check for exhaust leaks inside the hull, water leaks, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by carle387 View Post
    Thank you for your response.

This is a carbureted 1200 with Gen III ignition system.

The display properly goes through its initial start up. All the components light up. The bar portion of the tach displays nothing during operation the digital part when selected shows all zeros. All other functions gas, oil and clock are functioning normally.

I am going to get it out on the lake this weekend and can do some diagnostic testing.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Thread Information