Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Aussie '09 FX SHO

Just a quick little write up about my '09 FX SHO I have owned for the last 18months or so.
    Have been inspired by plenty of the builds on here. Have done plenty of reading on what I want and the many ways to do it. This will be a fairly low budget build and won't go to any extremes like some of the amazing machines on here.

For the last 18month I have ridden it totally bog stock since i've owned it while I planned and saved for the upgrades.

She now has the following items:
    - R&D Intake kit (2nd hand)
    - R&D C3-11 Supercharger wheel (2nd hand)
    - Worx Racing Intercooler Kit with adjustable BOV
    - Worx Racing motor cooling kit
    - Worx Racing Intake grate and stuffer kit
    - Worx Racing ribbon remover
    - Worx Racing Stage III reflash
    - TJ Exhaust mod (free)
    - 13/23 Skat Trak Prop (2nd hand)

Because of my work and being away for 80% of the time I had Shane from Brisbane Watercraft do the install of most of the items for me to maximise my riding time.
    Before the mods the old couch was running a fairly low 65.5mph on GPS. After the mods and straight out of the box she ran a 76.6mph with a full tank of juice, 25'C day, smooth water and with an 88kg rider with trim 1 notch nose up. The shakedown was even complete with some muppet claiming his modified Kawasaki would run rings around me all day every day. Challenged him to a race and he suddenly had a million excuses as to why the Yamaha would win every time from I'm a lighter rider than he was to "the water isn't rough enough". He challenged me to a race to Tangalooma and when I offered my number he continued to excuses and left the ramp. Yammie 1. Kawasaki 0.
    I need to replace the prop/have it built up as there is some wear on the blades. The clearance on to the wear ring leaves a bit to be desired out of the hole as she cavitates pretty bad. Will look at a 13/24 or maybe 14/23-24 and possibly a L13 Cone to tune it. The hull also needs a mild clean up underneath and fill the ride plate bolt holes, etc.
    Otherwise, pretty happy so far. She pulls harder than a school boy with an internet connection in the mid-range.

Enough text. Now the pics.

GPS results; Before & After mods
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-27_16.44.32.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	364011

Some of the new Worx Racing goodness.

Name:	20150604_150954.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	364012

Old girl after her shakedown run.

Name:	20150306_155142.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	364013

Name:	20150306_155151.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	364014

Over at Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island at Easter weekend.

Name:	20150405_162305.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	364015

Hoping to squeeze a couple more MPH out of the old girl when time allows in between work and travelling. Updates might be slow coming but any feedback or suggestions gladly welcome!!

+1
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. You could also consider a new/ Jims modified ride plate for another few MPH.

+1
    Thanks Mike.
    I would like to but with the cost of shipping, exchange rate and having to get a turnkey plate from Jim the costs are pretty up there.
    I am going to play around with the prop and basic 'free' stuff first to see what I can get and then down the track if I want I will look into a Jims plate. I would also like to reinforce the tunnel first before getting too much more power and speed into the old girl.

+1
    Sounds like your on the way to 80 easily.
    My personal opinion i would get a gpr stainless wear ring and send it with the prop down to propeller repairs and have Jan rebuild it to 0.2mm clearance it will scrape a bit on initial start up but this will maximize the holeshot.
    That prop have it bent to 14/23 if your limiter is 8600 that prop you have was done by Jan and pitched to 21.
    Get hold of a stock VX Plate and have it trued up or send it to kev to play with (fx160)
    I went from 76mph to 78.9 just by swapping plates and shimming.

Be careful with the c3 especially in this weather with stock injectors I ran 14psi at 8600 afr's hit 12.5 and blew a rod through my block. Get a rising rate on the fuel system and check your afr's

But what you've done so far is killer. And once your done a 310r you could stand on your boarding step and piss on them as your pulling away

+1
    Thanks for the info Slap.
    Prop was repitched to 23 but the current clearance to wear ring is probably a bit over a mm. More than I would like.
    Current rev limiter is the stock Worx 8500 as that's what I was happy with. Does the VX plate bolt up to the FX hull? I thought they were for the FZ hulls?

I actually did find an old fuel reg I have from a past turbo 3RZ-FE engine build. I will look at how I can set that up on the FX and intend to install AFR & Boost guages when the time allows. I've limited the number of full throttle passes and kept them to a short squirt. Don't want to hurt the motor.
    She cruises nicely tho as current.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_SHO View Post
    Thanks Mike.
    I would like to but with the cost of shipping, exchange rate and having to get a turnkey plate from Jim the costs are pretty up there.
    I am going to play around with the prop and basic 'free' stuff first to see what I can get and then down the track if I want I will look into a Jims plate. I would also like to reinforce the tunnel first before getting too much more power and speed into the old girl.
    Does Worx sell a plate for your ski? Might be a cheaper alternative without the international shipping. I know they had one for the FZ but it was more of a rough water plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_SHO View Post
    Thanks Mike.
    Does Worx sell a plate for your ski? Might be a cheaper alternative without the international shipping. I know they had one for the FZ but it was more of a rough water plate.
    I looked at this and Worx don't make 1. They said it was due to the stock FX plate being pretty good and their testing showed minimal gains. I wouldn't mind a more rough water plate as a lot of the riding I do is on a choppy bay or ocean. Pretty happy with the current setup once I get this cavitation out of the hole sorted which will happen over the coming months when I get a few quick chances back home.

+1
    UPDATE:

Got a decent arvo out on the river when I was back in town and gave the old girl a run.
    Full tank, trim 1 notch up, all seats in place, 27 degrees (~81F), dead flat water and my 91kg (200lb) ass on board. Haven't seen the river like it before.
    Ran a new top speed of 77.5 mph on the old girl. Need to find some time to plug the ride plate, dial the prop in, vent the hull and see how she goes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPS.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	374329  

+1
    You'll be at 80 in no time mate

+1
    What ride are you running, shim it for speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information