Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New new to me lightly modded 02 GP1200r, I wonder what the next step is?

I guess my brother in-law got a case of "Keeping up with the Joneses" after I got my '02 GP1200R last week he ran out and got a '13 Kawi Ultra 300 (Riva ride plate & Sponsors it also has a Impeller that the previous owner said was geared more for Anti-cavitation and hole-shot rather than top speed because he was doing a lot of inflatable towing ) we where both previously running a pair of bone stock '01 XLT1200's

I'm sure after a 3 day weekend on the water with him this weekend I'll have a case of the Keeping up with the Joneses. I defiantly don't plan on doing anything to my GPr till the winter I'm going to run it as much as I can the rest of this summer.

So my '02 GP1200R for the most part has a Riva Racing stage "2 kit" (Grate, Impeller, triple filters, ride plate, pump seal kit & pump cone) however the guy that sold it to me says it also has "Riva 150 heads" and I noticed that when compared to my old XLT1200's exhaust the entire catalytic converter housing has been swapped out for what clearly what looks like a 2-stroke dirt bike header and a single 2"-2.25" exhaust pipe. I haven't really looked under the battery box I know It's LOUD and it's not just a bolted in "D plate". it also has R&D sponsors and a Aluminum steering nozzle

I'm sure it's going to be due for some sort of pump tunnel reinforcement and more displacement but that's just a guess

That exhaust isn't helping you. Stock exhaust flows the best on a stock motor. Unless you've bumped up the compression,ported the case and cylinders and matched the fuel delivery, you very well would run faster with a stock set up. Post some pics.

The Ski is about 2hrs away, when I get there this weekend I'll take some pics and post them up when I get a chance. The previous owner had said " Riva 150" heads but they look stock, google and the Forums here make me wonder if they are milled to get 150psi. I have a gauge I'll take it with the camera this weekend.

He (the previous owner) has never mentioned Reed valves or Power valves

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTGP1200R View Post
    The Ski is about 2hrs away, when I get there this weekend I'll take some pics and post them up when I get a chance. The previous owner had said " Riva 150" heads but they look stock, google and the Forums here make me wonder if they are milled to get 150psi. I have a gauge I'll take it with the camera this weekend.

He (the previous owner) has never mentioned Reed valves or Power valves
    Smarter people than I can answer this, but I dont think you can get 150 out of the stock head without get into the domes. I've got a stock head ,milled to 140 and its almost into the squish. That is unless you cut them and peel back the head gasket.

I'm finally back to civilization, turns out it has R&D heads, compression was 148~152 on every cylinder, I tested a bunch of times I couldn't ever repeat the same psi on the same cylinder from one test to another but they don't seem to far away from each other so I'm happy there. It appears to have locked out or deleted power valves the main shaft is still there but it has been secured in one position. The previous owner also met me over the weekend I asked him if anything had been done to the pump or Reed valves, he said "Reed snuffers, remote thumb screws (Google says that's carb adjustment related) & HO 2" extension"

after running next to a '13 Kawasaki Ultra300x (Riva stage 1) for 3 days strait I couldn't be more happy with the power or the thrust my 13 year old waverunner is creating on water that glass smooth Side-by-Side out on the hole I'm dead even with the Ultra300 and from 10MPH up to somewhere around 55MPH I pull 100-250ft on the Ultra, I top out somewhere around 66-67MPH (GPS on a Phone app) and the ultra was topping out around 70-71MPH (Same App different phone) so after 55-60MPH he could reel me in if we had enough clear water in front of us.

My biggest problem is as SOON as the water gets even a ripple from a row boat on it i need to SLOW way down, my GPr is just plain flat sketchy at speed. and in any kind of chop it's a constant whoop section. but on the other hand I can play in a big boats wake like no other, It's almost like the hull is setup for tight corners and fast direction changes which as it tuns out is a lot of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0005.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	364528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0010.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	364530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0009.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	364529  

You're missing a bolt on the stinger mount

What trim tabs are you running? You should be able to handle rough conditions without terror.

I really don't know what Trim tabs even are, I've seen them by them self at online stores I've never really seen them installed.

Unfortunately I didn't do much under the ski before it went into or out of the water other than visually check for missing hardware, damage to the intake grate and check the steering nozzle/ hardware for obvious damage. I have been looking for images on Google and I know I don't have anything that extends beyond the rear of the hull.

Bottom of the hull on the back. There is a ride plate and the 2 trim tabs, left and right.

The ride plate sits below the pump and outlet. The trim tabs are next to the plate. The stock tabs stop nearly flush with the end of the hull, others like the riva extend back 2 inches.

Can you get a pic of the underside?
    Is the boat bouncing or does the back kinda shimmy at certain speeds?

For now I'm keeping it at my in-laws house (on the water) which is about 2hrs away from here. So I won't have a Pic until at least next weekend or even longer.

As far as the instability, on water that is smooth as glass when you bring it up to speed (60+MPH) the ski will constantly move from left to right until you either slow, accelerate or turn. It feels like the whole ski is trying to balance up on the nozzle, or if you have ever driven a car on the highway that you could turn the wheel between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and not change the direction of the car. Sitting down is not an option my arms and legs need to be the suspension.

I'm mostly on the Choptank river which feeds the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, we ventured out into the bay, Me on the GP1200R, my brother inlaw on his Ultra300 and my wife and 4 year old son on the old XLT1200. I have to say the conditions where perfect, the other 2 skis could cruise 30 or 40 MPH even with a girlfriend on the back of the Ultra and my 4 year old on the XLT but I was like a down hill skier on moguls, or a AMA Supercross rider in the whoop section. If I could get into a rhythm of "Up a swell, Jump a swell, off the gas, in the air, zing a ding ding ding, land, gas, Up a swell, Jump a swell, off the gas, in the air, zing a ding ding ding, land, gas.............. " for what felt like FOREVER while my 4 year old son in the lap of my wife on the XLT1200 was laughing at me 5000ft to my right just cruising @ 40MPH and my Brother in-law blows past on my left with his girlfriend on the back most likely over 60mph

+1
    Looks like a Riva Stinger. Its main purpose was to allow access to adjust the carbs but you do lose some speed with it. I had one on my 1200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information