+1

I feel bad but, I'm looking a a 01 Virage

Fujis, no problem, Virage, uhhhhh. Heh. I'm looking at a Ski 01 Virage, he took it to a shop and said the motor is dead, it just clicks. Not knowing much other that K447's site, what should I be looking at when I look at this NON-Running ski? I have a new battery, hell, I have two of them. I'm thinking as long as I have the Hulk and compression, I'm good. Insight on a Virage, please, I don't know crap about the newer ones, SL and SLT but nothing about these Virages!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    See if you can turn the engine drive shaft coupler by hand with spark plugs out. You may need to pry the coupler cover off to get at the coupler, which will be fairly large behind the engine. If you can turn the engine by hand then the engine is not locked up.

If the jet pump has jammed then the engine cannot crank. Remove the jet pump and driveshaft to check.

If the original start solenoid is installed they are known to corrode internally. It may click but not actually deliver electricity to the starter motor. Starter motors can fail, of course.

The red engines are very similar to the blue Fuji, just bigger. Keihin carburetors instead of Mikuni, but still carbs, so not crazy weird.

Jet pump is the same modular 148mm type, but the Virage reverse is electric prior to 2002. Hold down Bilge button to power up the Reverse system, make sure the bucket actually moves full motion from up to down and back.

Press the Display button on the MFI to wake it up before working the reverse bucket. MFI speedo needle will do a full sweep when the display first wakes up.

Compression check is the same as Fuji, throttle wide open, all spark plugs out.

The LR-505 Start/Stop module can go bad. Symptoms vary but sometimes the engine will crank yet no have spark. The LR module can be disconnected and bypassed for testing.

If you press Start and the display just says Locked then the MFI has a lock code set and the engine will not crank. Default code is 1234. MFI display can be unplugged and bypassed to crank engine without the display. Simple 14 AWG solid copper wire looped between pins 1 and 3 on the Deutsch wire harness connector behind the display.

Oil pump is on front of engine. Fuel tank is huge so cruise range is quite far.

Check for signs of exhaust overheat. Soft squishy exhaust hoses, melted plastic resonators. Backfires sometimes cause the resonator to split at the seam, so exhaust leak into the hull if that happens.

Unlike the Fuji engines the red domestic engine CDI will not fire the spark plugs if the battery voltage is marginal while the engine is cranking.

+1
    Think of the Virage as the next gen SLT... with the red domestic engines. Do you know which Virage model it is?

Virage (base) - 700cc twin carbed
    Virage TX - 1200cc triple carbed
    Virage TXi - 1200cc triple Ficht Direct Injected

Well... if the motor will not crank over... the motor is either seized (bad), the battery is so dead it can't crank it, the starter solenoid is toast and not sending power to the starter, or the jetpump is seized (either jammed rock, or seized bearings).

Remove the coupler cover and attempt to turn engine by hand. It should rotate (plugs out makes this easier). If not moving... pull jetpump (4 long bolts) and driveshaft and try again... to rule out seized jetpump. If still no... then it looks like something is seizing the engine.

That's a start.

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    See if you can turn the engine drive shaft coupler by hand with spark plugs out. You may need to pry the coupler cover off to get at the coupler, which will be fairly large behind the engine. If you can turn the engine by hand then the engine is not locked up.

If the jet pump has jammed then the engine cannot crank. Remove the jet pump and driveshaft to check.

If the original start solenoid is installed they are known to corrode internally. It may click but not actually deliver electricity to the starter motor. Starter motors can fail, of course.

The red engines are very similar to the blue Fuji, just bigger. Keihin carburetors instead of Mikuni, but still carbs, so not crazy weird.

Jet pump is the same modular 148mm type, but the Virage reverse is electric prior to 2002. Hold down Bilge button to power up the Reverse system, make sure the bucket actually moves full motion from up to down and back.

Press the Display button on the MFI to wake it up before working the reverse bucket. MFI speedo needle will do a full sweep when the display first wakes up.

Compression check is the same as Fuji, throttle wide open, all spark plugs out.

The LR-505 Start/Stop module can go bad. Symptoms vary but sometimes the engine will crank yet no have spark. The LR module can be disconnected and bypassed for testing.

If you press Start and the display just says Locked then the MFI has a lock code set and the engine will not crank. Default code is 1234. MFI display can be unplugged and bypassed to crank engine without the display. Simple 14 AWG solid copper wire looped between pins 1 and 3 on the Deutsch wire harness connector behind the display.

Oil pump is on front of engine. Fuel tank is huge so cruise range is quite far.

Check for signs of exhaust overheat. Soft squishy exhaust hoses, melted plastic resonators. Backfires sometimes cause the resonator to split at the seam, so exhaust leak into the hull if that happens.

Unlike the Fuji engines the red domestic engine CDI will not fire the spark plugs if the battery voltage is marginal while the engine is cranking.
    Dude, your a life saver! He did say and I quote "It just clicks". What you said about the starter. I hope thats the issue. I'm going to see if I can spin the shaft by hand though. I hope it does spin. I have a new battery used 1 time about 1 month old in my Sea-Doo, I want to grab it and try it. He wants like 2K for a Kawasaki, Polaris trailer combo. I'm hoping to score the ski for next to nothing, he knows shops won't touch a Polaris out here I hope to score the ski for well under $500. Big jump but hey, it doesn't run, ya know.

+1
    THIS JUST IN! It's a 2cyl and has no compression, says the seller. I'm saying $100. What could be an issue?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Octoarms View Post
    THIS JUST IN! It's a 2cyl and has no compression, says the seller. I'm saying $100. What could be an issue?
    Either it just clicks and does not crank, or it does crank and compression can be checked. Which is it?

If it cranks and does not have compression, something is broken inside the engine. Assume full rebuild including crank. Might not need a crank, but assume it does.

Thread Information