Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Brown oil coming off top of Pistons!!

Ok I am assuming I have oil in my crankcase due to it shooting out the spark plug holes. What is the easiest way to clean that up?

+1
    I'm sorry, 97 Polaris SLT 780

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is it oil or is it rusty water coming out of the spark plug holes?

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Any idea how much is in there?

The procedure for recovering a flooded ski is to yank the plugs and crank it until there's very little water coming out the holes, then add plugs and get it to run as long as you can, keep cleaning off the plugs until it runs.

I have done this and it works.

That would probably work here although it is going to be a LOT more messy with the oil than with the water! And you will probably foul some plugs in the act.

+1
    It's brown oil. Top end was rebuilt from previous owner. The spark plugs were loose, indicating to me that he poured too much oil in to winterize

+1
    The fuel filter bowl was empty so I assume the previous owner drained the fuel. How to i prime up the system other than cranking for hours. Lol. I also have a second ski exactly the same I just pulled the plugs to do a compression test. The first was over charts like building to 300 psi. I'm assuming the oil helped. Up the second what is recommended to check and do to get running. I'm blind to the exact condition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider55 View Post
    The fuel filter bowl was empty so I assume the previous owner drained the fuel. How to i prime up the system other than cranking for hours. Lol. I also have a second ski exactly the same I just pulled the plugs to do a compression test. The first was over charts like building to 300 psi. I'm assuming the oil helped. Up the second what is recommended to check and do to get running. I'm blind to the exact condition.
    Do NOT crank the engine with spark plugs installed if there is liquid inside the engine.

Oil or water or liquid gasoline inside, only crank with spark plugs removed until the liquid has been removed.

Liquid does not compress and there is real risk of damaging the engine or cracking a piston when the piston slams into the incompressible liquid in the combustion chamber.

+1
    You can crank the engine with spark plugs out as a method of pumping the excess liquid out. It will be messy, and can take a long time. Do not run the starter motor for long durations without cool down intervals. The battery will also need frequent recharging.

The alternative is to drain the engine through the drain plugs on the lower edge of the engine crankcase. Or remove the intake manifold and reeds and extract the liquid through the intake openings.

+1
    I removed most all the oil, I got it running and took it for a spin. I believe there is still some oil on top of the Pistons due to it kinda bogging down at full throttle.. Is this probably the case? Do I need to run it like that until the excess oil burns off? Then change plugs? Any suggestions

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider55 View Post
    I removed most all the oil, I got it running and took it for a spin. I believe there is still some oil on top of the Pistons due to it kinda bogging down at full throttle.. Is this probably the case? Do I need to run it like that until the excess oil burns off? Then change plugs? Any suggestions
    As the engine runs the excess oil will be consumed by the engine. If the liquid oil was heavy or thick it may take some time to completely blow the excess oil out of the crankcase.

Certainly change the spark plugs after the oil has been burned off.

A carburetor rebuild is recommended. These engines can be internally damaged by a carburetor or fuel system problem.

On the flip side, have you checked the oil injection system? Mainly the small oil hoses and clamps, and change the oil filter.

See my signature links for other common issues and recommended maintenance info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information