Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    2009 FX SHO Weird Electrical Problem, Won't Start

    I was out on my ski the other day it was rough as hell so I decided to just head in, I get stopped by the wild life fish and game for not having stickers on my bike yet, its got temp reg though, so I get flagged over to their boat I hit the kill switch and bam nothing no power at all, no crank no display, nothing. I get home start messing with the bike, I notice that if I take off the positive to the battery than reconnect it I can hit start and the engine will crank but won't turn over. So the weird part is my key fob won't work and if I hit the unlock button I can no longer crank the engine. When I disconnect the positive and reconnect it what I get is the green light on the dash, can't lock it or unlock it, I can only crank it with out it turning over and even that just stops working after a while. I checked my battery its the same exact reading as my car battery 12.74 volts.

    Where should I start with this diagnosis? Could the battery be bad? Maybe, the ski has 89 hours on it but I bought it used from a mechanic who traded it in to a certified dealer who ran through the ski top and bottom and it was fine. I have been riding it myself for several weeks now and have never had any issues at all with the bike until just now. Any advice would be helpful, up until this point everything on the ski worked as it should, the bildge ran when the bike was shut off, the motor cranked over for every ride and it never stalled out or ran bad in any way.


  2. #2
    ArslanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    216
    +1
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonstackhouse View Post
    I was out on my ski the other day it was rough as hell so I decided to just head in, I get stopped by the wild life fish and game for not having stickers on my bike yet, its got temp reg though, so I get flagged over to their boat I hit the kill switch and bam nothing no power at all, no crank no display, nothing. I get home start messing with the bike, I notice that if I take off the positive to the battery than reconnect it I can hit start and the engine will crank but won't turn over. So the weird part is my key fob won't work and if I hit the unlock button I can no longer crank the engine. When I disconnect the positive and reconnect it what I get is the green light on the dash, can't lock it or unlock it, I can only crank it with out it turning over and even that just stops working after a while. I checked my battery its the same exact reading as my car battery 12.74 volts.



    Where should I start with this diagnosis? Could the battery be bad? Maybe, the ski has 89 hours on it but I bought it used from a mechanic who traded it in to a certified dealer who ran through the ski top and bottom and it was fine. I have been riding it myself for several weeks now and have never had any issues at all with the bike until just now. Any advice would be helpful, up until this point everything on the ski worked as it should, the bildge ran when the bike was shut off, the motor cranked over for every ride and it never stalled out or ran bad in any way.



    When did you last charge your battery? Also make sure you dont have a bad connection in your cluster in the dash. But connecting and reconnecting Positive Lead indicates that there isnt enough current being supplied. Also make sure your stator is functioning. Check fuses, remove the cover from the electronics housing and make sure everything is connected. My FZR battery voltage is 13.89-14.1v and its always been like that.

  3. #3
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,251
    +1
    991
    Start by removing the battery and THOROUGHLY cleaning the terminals as well as the leads that connect to the battery inside the ski. Secondly, I would highly recommend a DelTran battery tender (430 at Walmart) overnight on the battery, re-install and see what happens.

  4. +1 by:

    GGG

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ArslanD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonstackhouse View Post
    I was out on my ski the other day it was rough as hell so I decided to just head in, I get stopped by the wild life fish and game for not having stickers on my bike yet, its got temp reg though, so I get flagged over to their boat I hit the kill switch and bam nothing no power at all, no crank no display, nothing. I get home start messing with the bike, I notice that if I take off the positive to the battery than reconnect it I can hit start and the engine will crank but won't turn over. So the weird part is my key fob won't work and if I hit the unlock button I can no longer crank the engine. When I disconnect the positive and reconnect it what I get is the green light on the dash, can't lock it or unlock it, I can only crank it with out it turning over and even that just stops working after a while. I checked my battery its the same exact reading as my car battery 12.74 volts.



    Where should I start with this diagnosis? Could the battery be bad? Maybe, the ski has 89 hours on it but I bought it used from a mechanic who traded it in to a certified dealer who ran through the ski top and bottom and it was fine. I have been riding it myself for several weeks now and have never had any issues at all with the bike until just now. Any advice would be helpful, up until this point everything on the ski worked as it should, the bildge ran when the bike was shut off, the motor cranked over for every ride and it never stalled out or ran bad in any way.



    When did you last charge your battery? Also make sure you dont have a bad connection in your cluster in the dash. But connecting and reconnecting Positive Lead indicates that there isnt enough current being supplied. Also make sure your stator is functioning. Check fuses, remove the cover from the electronics housing and make sure everything is connected. My FZR battery voltage is 13.89-14.1v and its always been like that.
    Thanks for the feedback, so I had the trickle charge on the battery all night, replaced all the fuses in the the circle fuze box, hooked the battery back up and now the voltage is showing where ur volts would be in the 13s however I am not even getting crank anymore, the lights won't turn on, nothing at all on the bike is responding to the remote or the start button, not even hearing clicking noises. I also went around the bike checked all the wires, everything is plugged in and where it should be. Any ideas from here?

  6. #5
    GGG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,831
    +1
    259
    Did you clean the battery cables with coarse sand paper? If you hit the start button a bunch of times real fast, does the starter engage for a split second?

  7. #6
    ArslanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    216
    +1
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonstackhouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArslanD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonstackhouse View Post
    I was out on my ski the other day it was rough as hell so I decided to just head in, I get stopped by the wild life fish and game for not having stickers on my bike yet, its got temp reg though, so I get flagged over to their boat I hit the kill switch and bam nothing no power at all, no crank no display, nothing. I get home start messing with the bike, I notice that if I take off the positive to the battery than reconnect it I can hit start and the engine will crank but won't turn over. So the weird part is my key fob won't work and if I hit the unlock button I can no longer crank the engine. When I disconnect the positive and reconnect it what I get is the green light on the dash, can't lock it or unlock it, I can only crank it with out it turning over and even that just stops working after a while. I checked my battery its the same exact reading as my car battery 12.74 volts.



    Where should I start with this diagnosis? Could the battery be bad? Maybe, the ski has 89 hours on it but I bought it used from a mechanic who traded it in to a certified dealer who ran through the ski top and bottom and it was fine. I have been riding it myself for several weeks now and have never had any issues at all with the bike until just now. Any advice would be helpful, up until this point everything on the ski worked as it should, the bildge ran when the bike was shut off, the motor cranked over for every ride and it never stalled out or ran bad in any way.



    When did you last charge your battery? Also make sure you dont have a bad connection in your cluster in the dash. But connecting and reconnecting Positive Lead indicates that there isnt enough current being supplied. Also make sure your stator is functioning. Check fuses, remove the cover from the electronics housing and make sure everything is connected. My FZR battery voltage is 13.89-14.1v and its always been like that.
    Thanks for the feedback, so I had the trickle charge on the battery all night, replaced all the fuses in the the circle fuze box, hooked the battery back up and now the voltage is showing where ur volts would be in the 13s however I am not even getting crank anymore, the lights won't turn on, nothing at all on the bike is responding to the remote or the start button, not even hearing clicking noises. I also went around the bike checked all the wires, everything is plugged in and where it should be. Any ideas from here?
    i wonder if your stator went out.

  8. #7
    That would def suck, I'm hoping it's something stupid not somthing 260 dollars expensive

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,930
    +1
    561
    Firt thing to do is TRY another battery, battery surface voltage has nothing to do with cranking amps = 13 volts and 0 amps and ski will not start. Only way to test a battery is with a battery load tester! Tommy Jordan

  10. #9
    ArslanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    216
    +1
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Firt thing to do is TRY another battery, battery surface voltage has nothing to do with cranking amps = 13 volts and 0 amps and ski will not start. Only way to test a battery is with a battery load tester! Tommy Jordan
    That's true. You can have voltage and no current thus no transfer of power from battery.

  11. #10
    ArslanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    216
    +1
    8
    You find your issue??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 fx sho with power problems!! Please help!!
    By randhellg in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 07:55 PM
  2. 2009 FX-SHO driveshaft problem after prop change
    By SOV in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2015, 02:51 PM
  3. 2008 fx sho weird problem
    By jusloungin in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM
  4. Did the 2009 FX SHO get any changes/enhancements over the 2008?
    By skeeterzx225 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 12:26 AM
  5. 2009 FX SHO Models???????
    By DCoog in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •