Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Removing pump 12f

Any ideas on how to get pump housing out of ski? I got everything off the back except for the pump and it will not come off. It will move maybe an inch and stop. The drive shaft comes out of the front of the impeller right? The whole shafts is moving when I move the pump.

+1
    I usually do a pry bar between the pump shoe and pump on the tabs where the bolts go.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I use a 2X4, about 4 foot long. No scratches. It should wiggle on out. You have the 2 allens out of the ride plate correct? Many forget them. I have before.

If you have not already removed the ride plate, Do it, The extra allen head bolts to remove the plate wont take long and will make removal a breeze. The shaft that goes into the pump is a fine spline and yes it does slide out. It might be a tiny bit corroded.

+1
    Thanks for the info! I have the ride plate off and have been prying...pulling.....cussing.....praying...jerking ....spraying....and repeating. Think I am going to fab up some sort of pulling device and see what happens.

It could be the splines are corroded into the impeller. Have patience and you will get there. Give everything a good clean and use a heap of never seize when fitting it back on.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I use waterproof grease on my spline shaft/prop interface. Never seized or stuck. 80% salt riding.
    There is something definitely wrong there. Chances are there was damage on either the impeller or splines on the shaft. You can use some heat but plan to change bearings, seals, and the little rubber cone part where the shaft enters the impeller.

If you use a puller of some sort take the coupling cover off inside the engine compartment and maybe use something so you don't pull the shaft into the carrier assembly too hard and break or damage something there.

+1
    Yep, prop stuck to shaft. Try heat first. If not, wedge something between the coupler and the hull to stop the shaft turning. Remove the rear cone of the pump. You will have to fab something up to fit the flat end of the shaft, but the next step would be to unscrew the pump shaft out of the prop. This will allow you to remove the pump, leaving the prop stuck on the shaft. Once this is off, you'll have better access and could probably screw a bolt up through the prop, pushing the shaft out. Or, cut the prop off shaft. Or cut the shaft...

+1
    Don't like the sound of cutting stuff.....sounds expensive! I guess it would be last resort. Tried more beating tonight managed to get part of the rubber seal off of the impeller so now maybe the pb blaster can get to it better. Going to try again tomorrow night after work and add heat from heat gun more banging and maybe rig up that puller I seen someone made with some treaded rods and a piece of flat metal.

+1
    Try heat to cold if heat doesn't work by itself. I usually have a can of R134 laying around, and will spray an upside down can onto the heated joint. Sometimes it shocks the corrosion into letting go. I've had luck with other projects doing this, sometimes though, like in the case of the stuck steering cable on my boat, nothing worked and I had to cut everything apart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information