+1

MSX 150 Heat Exchanger Leak? (not mine...)

I'm discussing an "available" MSX 150 with a guy in my region who states his 150 has a significant fresh water leak. He suspects the heat exchanger area but has not located the spot for sure. What's the worst case to repair this, does the intake manifold have to come off, basically requiring nearly a motor pull? (Anyone ever seen one of these go bad? Freeze damage perhaps?)

(FWIW, he's asking $2k with trailer, good compression, ~70 hours, AND a nearly complete set of parts from another ski he parted out (no turbo, no display, no windshield, but supposedly everything else...)

+1
    The heat exchanger has 3 freshwater hose connections. The main supply from the intercooler, the main exit to the oil tank (where you'd install a flush kit), and a small drain hose that snakes back to a Tee beside the battery on the main supply line off the pump (along with in/out coolant lines too). More than likely it's one of these hoses (probably the small one that is hard to see/get to)... rather than the actual exchanger itself. I've removed the end cap on my exchanger once. It's sealed with a big rubber, reusable gasket.

You can get to the heat exchanger w/o pulling the engine. You do have to remove the intake manifold... since it's the upper part of the exchanger mounting bracket. This is a PITA... but doable.

Why do you want another MSX150? Are you a glutton for punishment?

Is your potential deal for a 2 place trailer? So a nice, complete broken MSX150... plus a stripped parts MSX150 (jetpump?)... plus a trailer... for $2k? There's alot there you can do... and fix... and become the next parter-outer on fleabay. Not sure I'd pull that trigger...

Cheers!

+1
    I spoke with the seller. Turns out it was a cracked heat exchanger. He fixed it and now is asking a lot more money, lol.

Thread Information