Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is there a How to : turbo swap

I ve been reading a few of the builds but haven't come across one that would detail it enough for my auto skills.... I have a Garrett 28 from my Saab laying around, is that something I can fab into a 4tec?
    Looking for a nice project for the upcoming winter.
    where would I start?

+1
    Yes you can but you should get a stainless turbine housing for it and water cool it. Same goes for the piping. Make it all Double wall stainless steel and run water through everything . The 28 is a nice match for this engine. Probably want a 2863 or larger . 2867 is nice and a few have 2871 that are having good luck .

By water you mean antifreeze?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurbet View Post
    By water you mean antifreeze?
    Lake water coming in from your jetpump . The same water that cools your exhaust manifold

Shows how much I know about the 4 strokes.
    How is the boost controlled ? Is it a manual valve, I assume which also needs adding? What about Ecu programming?
    I don't just fit the turbo in and go? I hope it is

+1
    It is not cheap or easy on a jetski due to the enclosed engine and need to water jacket and cool everything. Even if you are able to weld up double walled pipe for cooling, it will require custom tuning, which is also not cheap. Ballpark, most guys with RELIABLE turbo skis have around $5k in turbo, piping and hardware and often close to that much again in Motec with many options. To really do it right, and buy what is needed is not cheap ... the 'free' turbo you have will become the most expensive modification you can do to you ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    It is not cheap or easy on a jetski due to the enclosed engine and need to water jacket and cool everything. Even if you are able to weld up double walled pipe for cooling, it will require custom tuning, which is also not cheap. Ballpark, most guys with RELIABLE turbo skis have around $5k in turbo, piping and hardware and often close to that much again in Motec with many options. To really do it right, and buy what is needed is not cheap ... the 'free' turbo you have will become the most expensive modification you can do to you ski.
    Yep! Do it right or probably just don't do it. When done correctly you can't beat a turbo ski but doin it halfway will make you crazy and cost you more money in the long run

8. +1 by:

+1
    you do realize that the seadoo does not have a turbo stock....right, its supercharged so there is no boost controller
    sorry, but IMO you better stick to a SC upgrade until you have a better grasp on the SC 1500 systems

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    you do realize that the seadoo does not have a turbo stock....right, its supercharged so there is no boost controller
    sorry, but IMO you better stick to a SC upgrade until you have a better grasp on the SC 1500 systems
    I realize there is no boost controller on the supercharger since there is a direct hookup so spool up is directly limited by engine rpm but I know there must be one on the turbo and normally those are ecu and vacuum controlled so just wondering how that's done.
    Something else I was wondering if this is something that can still be a reliable setup why won't Seadoo just make a turbo ski? Is it financial mainly? Or is it reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by seadoo02xp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Yep! Do it right or probably just don't do it. When done correctly you can't beat a turbo ski but doin it halfway will make you crazy and cost you more money in the long run
    Yes I realize it would take a bit of money, I can tell from the prices on the turbo kits. As far as my free turbo, well it was just a thought and a search for a bit of education. Not really looking to race it or anything but the turbo power surge is very addicting and I can only imagine what it would feel like on a ski!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information