+1

Installing "Boom Audio" on MSX 150.

A unfortunate accident left me with a complete Boom Audio system for the Harley Davidson lineup. My question is, can I mount these speakers to the black plastic covering the instrument cluster on my MSX? The unit(s) weighs 59oz. The thought was to drill a hole 3/8" for each speaker. This would mount the two speakers to instrument cluster cover. Respectfully we would use rubber washers and thread locker to account for vibration. Next, the signal wires powering the speakers would be routed via plastic conduit next to the factory cluster coax and properly fastened to the hull. Here is where I draw a blank. Where do we mount the waterproof amplifier (1"x3"x4") to receive some cooling effect of fresh air? Next, where do I draw power (12V nom) from? The unit has handlebar mounted controls including power, vol up, vol down. Have played around with mounting it to the factory handlebar padding. Then routing the signal wires through the existing conduit that currently houses the handlebar controls... Any thoughts on my power issue? Is this a bad idea in terms of power usage?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you are asking about using the curved plastic MSX hood 'sunshade' to support several pounds of aftermarket speakers, don't. The thin curved plastic will not withstand the extra weight, especially when the hull is pounding across the waves.

You could perhaps fashion a broad and stiff metal bracket that spans across the area and mounts directly to the same bolts that hold the curved plastic shade and/or the bolts that hold the mirrors in place.

Consider that the extra weight will also require a stronger gas spring in the hood hinge, and will put more stress on the hinge area. This may also need reinforcing.

There have been a number of audio project threads posted over the past few years. Perhaps one of those approaches would work better than trying to force fit this particular motorcycle kit.
    Last edited by K447; 06-30-2015 at 07:52 AM.

+1
    Read through Hill's build thread. He put in speakers, amp, sub in his MSX.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2426049

Cheers!

+1
    How about mounting them to the handlebars as originally intended?

+1
    Found an alternative. Plan on mounting them to the hull ahead of the floor mats in the footwell area.

6. +1 by:

Thread Information