JS 550 Water in Engine Compartment

So this is really embarrassing, but I need some help. I just bought a '91 550. I had never ridden a stand up until I took it out yesterday. Well, about 200 yards into my first ride it dumped me! It started right back up without issue but just bogged down when I gave it any gas. So I scoot on over to the shore and was going to try to get all the water out...unfortunately things just got worse from here because the only real "shore" for me to get to was a bunch of rocks, so I just kept getting pushed into these rocks any time a boat drove by, which was constant. Long story short, the entire engine compartment filled with water and the ski wouldn't start anymore so I just towed it back to the dock with my STX. We emptied out all the water and let it dry out well, but now I am scared to even try starting the engine because there has got to be water in it right? Why would this have happened? From other videos I have watched my fall wasn't any different than any others that I have seen...so why after this little spill I took would it bog like this? What do I need to do ensure I don't completely destroy my engine (if it isn't already ruined)? And how the heck am I supposed to keep water out of the engine compartment on this dad gum thing?
    Last edited by avsmann33; 06-28-2015 at 05:23 PM.

+1
    If it got water inside the engine, you need to get it out NOW!!! It may already be too late!

Open the engine hatch and turn it on it's side to drain the water. Remove the spark plug wires and ground them to the engine block. Remove the spark plugs, hold the throttle open, and crank the engine over. If it's got water in it, water will spray all over the place. Crank for 30 seconds or so and it should start spraying air.

Dry the spark plugs and re-install, along with the wires. Try to start it.

Keep doing this until it starts. You may have to put a teaspoon of gas in the air intake or spark plug holes to get it to fire.

If it really has water in it, you'll want to run it on the hose for 15 minutes or so to dry it out. When running on the hose, remember NEVER allow the water to run unless the engine is running. Start the engine, turn on the water. Turn off the water, kill the engine.

Thanks Steve. Ya, after doing a bit more digging yesterday I came across the original owners manual and read through it and followed those steps exactly. After clearing the water out of the engine it would crank but wouldn't start, but I did put a little gas directly into the carburetor and it fired right up, then I did run it for with a hose attached.

So do you have any idea why it might have bogged down on me? I watched several videos of people riding these, as well as the video of myself I was recording with my GoPro and my spill was in no way different than anything that I saw. For the life of me I can't figure out why it would have bogged down on my after this little insignificant spill!!! Any thoughts?

+1
    I don't know, I've only ridden a standup once or twice (and I actually did OK!). I know you have to drag behind it and crawl up on it as it accelerates.

If the engine actually bogged down, that's probably a fuel problem.

Thread Information