Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

+1
    Exactly that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    take the ski in and make yamaha fix it. dont let them get away with fucking us over and over again.

+1
    What happened to me was the dealer as most do not do paint they use a boat repair place or ?? If you take it make sure you remove all the fuel and oil (best you can) also remove your battery as they will turn the Ski over more than likely and if you don't take battery out acid will leak out!!! Now there is the paint when I picked mine up I knew right away it was not right it looked great but they used some auto paint that was to soft I could take fingernail and scratch it plus the damn ski would not slid on the bunks it was not hard enough so I got the exact paint info from Yamaha told dealer they had it repainted it's still not hard enough so I give up and will take it to a guy who has done my other hulls in the past I will never try this shit again with any dealer I will just pay if it ever happens again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    What happened to me was the dealer as most do not do paint they use a boat repair place or ?? If you take it make sure you remove all the fuel and oil (best you can) also remove your battery as they will turn the Ski over more than likely and if you don't take battery out acid will leak out!!! Now there is the paint when I picked mine up I knew right away it was not right it looked great but they used some auto paint that was to soft I could take fingernail and scratch it plus the damn ski would not slid on the bunks it was not hard enough so I got the exact paint info from Yamaha told dealer they had it repainted it's still not hard enough so I give up and will take it to a guy who has done my other hulls in the past I will never try this shit again with any dealer I will just pay if it ever happens again
    Wow, that sounds like a terrible experience! Sounds like I need to find a good shop first, then put them with the Yamaha dealer and make Yamaha pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogzilla View Post
    I'm going on the second season with almost 80hrs on my machine and no signs of any paint or clear issues. Slight scuffs from where it slides on the bunks but nothing else. Now, I am anal with my ski and always push it on the trailer, never ride it on, wash/wax after every ride, etc. I have beached it but only a handful of times and very carefully. Was it only certain units that were affected maybe? I have to check the production date on mine, but I know the dealer had it for at least 5 months before I bought it which was in May 2014.

Maybe we got lucky here in Canada since I've never heard of anyone here having the issue on their 14s. I wonder if salt water riding has anything to do with it as well.
    My FX paint peeled at 8 hrs. Took 8 months to fix, although I didn't mind since they stored it over the winter for me. Isn't break-in 1.5 hours? Maybe the OP broke it in too hard lol

+1
    Just hit 10 hours on my FX and a quarter dollar size amount of paint is peeling. Also some previous hull damage done due to dealer error on the trailer set up has gotten worse and is now coming off in chunks. I've ridden it three times and it's a brand new machine and now It needs repainted. Considering the expense of these machines this is BS. I'm surprised there isn't some kind of legal suit over this.

This reminds me of the 911 syndrome. Someone has a problem and expects someone else to do something about it.

If you wonder why there isn't a lawsuit against them, its because you haven't started one yet.

Also how hard is it to match black paint??

You can flip your yami ski over for as long as you want, oil, fuel, should not leak out...if it does, something is not right and needs to be fixed. Using a non sealed battery is the only issue with flipping a ski to do bottom work. I have had MANY a skis on their backs on the beach over the years getting basketball sized holes patched up. No problems flipping them back over.

When I brought this paint peeling issue up to the Yamaha Rep at the ATL boat show back in January he said this was just a "little problem" and had been fixed.

My ass it's fixed I said to myself. It's a worldwide problem and this forum proves it.

Anyone ever figure out if they're using a waterborne basecoat under the clear?

+1
    911 syndrome? ok........ anyways Tony, I do expect someone to do something about it. YAMAHA. When I pay the money I do for a new ski its real fucking hard to match paint much less repaint a new ski because I shouldn't have to in the first place. I restore cars for a living so I know damn good and well how much paint work is a giant pain in the ass and expensive especially glass or SMC. I don't want to deal with that on a brand new ski and have some production body shop take this ski apart and slap it back together and rush it out the door. Also Im a little pissed off to see this is a known issue after the fact of dropping my hard earned money. Thanks for the input though ...
    Last edited by FasTxn; 07-06-2015 at 04:56 PM.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    Wow, that sounds like a terrible experience! Sounds like I need to find a good shop first, then put them with the Yamaha dealer and make Yamaha pay for it.
    Classic Muscle did cycle springs fix your paint problem? I am heading over there next week with the same problem 2014 vxr.

With paint peeling off like that, a good spray with a high pressure washer and the hull would be bare. Should take no time to repaint by any competent spray painter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information