+1

Considering SS liner but few concerns first

ok in all my years being mostly a 2 stroke guy and only owning my first 4tech for 4 years now I've never used a SS liner in any ski but giving consideration to finally trying one out and seeing if the old belief of plastic saving ones prop is really all that true. I know this SS liner topic has been discussed many times over and I'm not asking for advise or experience one way or the other as I already searched this topic multiple times years past. My real question is since I've done so many mods the past couple years I've now noticed my liners getting a uniform wear pattern and clearances get enlarged rather quickly. First year owning the ski barely any noted wear..only if I shot something was it evident. So over the past winter when I was doing my last batch of mods I noticed my prop had some radial play and spun way to freely...yup rebuild time so I did it complete. Installed new liner with the rebuild...no radial play and prop now tight. I also checked alignment and back/forth play. So now I've done about 10-15hrs thus far and had a peak at the liner the other day..wtf...liners developing the same damn wear pattern and clearances are enlarging still. Now last thing I want to do is go throwing a SS liner in this thing and having the prop blades get all worn down. The motor mounts seem to be in great condition but I'm wondering with the power this thing is now generating have I exceededed the oem mounts ability to resist vibration? Even with a little vibration how the hell it moving that prop that much after a full pump rebuild to scuff and wear down that liner? I still have last season liner I replaced...I like keeping things around for a spell because ya never know if you consider something else and want to inspect. I could post up a pic and see what you all think...might be normal but I just do not recall this issue first year owning it and being completely stock. Sig will tell you it's far from stock now. Gut says needs a good heavy duty front mount...new liner to use as proof issue gone..then go SS liner but not until.

+1
    Lots of opinions on this ... guys that have always been Sea Doo guys think plastic liners are the best. Kawi and Yamaha guys are used to metal liners and think plastic liners are a waste and a money-grab. I have had all 3 brand skis and always like steel liners ... sticks and junk do not get stuck or hurt the liner and I have not noted excessive prop wear. My current RXP setup is SS liner and I am running the same prop I have run for 3 years .... and clearance is still good. But I rarely floor it from an idle ... why cavitation burn the prop unless I am racing someone?

I get what you are saying about the plastic liners, and the clearance opening quickly and the wear pattern you see. My opinion ... it is cavitation burning the plastic off the liner. When you have a SS wear ring and you floor it from idle, typically you will eventually see cavitation burn on the outside edge of the impeller, but the SS liner is not hurt. With a plastic wear ring, the weak link is the plastic ... when you floor it, the boiling cavitation bubbles attack the weakest link, in this case the plastic. I DO NOT think the impeller is actually hitting the plastic ... the props do not grow or flex that much. IMO it is cavitation burn that is destroying the plastic liners, and there is nothing you can do to prevent that, plastic will be sacrificed.

I have ran plastic too, and sticks do get stuck in it far more often. My experience with the SS wear rings - the clearance is very tight, and stays very tight far longer ... far far longer. On Kawis and Yamahas, we knew that if the clearance opened up, we just had the prop reconditioned by Impros or we bought a new prop, but that was pretty rare for me. I did find out that sealing the pump and NOT holeshotting every time I took off made the prop last far longer. I have had props that had such severe cavitation burn that the edge looked like swiss cheese ... but my SS liner was fine. Once I got my pump sealed and a new impeller in, they lasted much longer.

Just my two cents ...

3. +1 by:

+1
    Well Vern honestly in my years I've never known that cavitation can burn/wear the liner, makes perfect sense though. Yes I feel a very hint of cavitation and it's the primary reason I opted for the Lucky13 cone, yet to be installed. Here's a pic of the liner I pulled over the winter. To me this is not bad but that wear pattern is definitely increasing clearance. When I think going SS wear ring with this happening all I can think of is that wear transferring to my prop blades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-28 00.22.21.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	363727

So if this is caused from cavitation burnt no harm will come to the prop going with a SS liner? Going through to many liners a season and why I'm thinking of finally trying out a SS liner.

+1
    My GP1200 has had a SS wear ring for 11 years and not a single problem ever.

Thread Information