Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new motor,low rpm, very noticeable vibration please help

I have just installed a new sbt motor in my 2005 rxps after a nightmare of problems with my ski. I finally got it all done yesterday and took it out for a spin. Right from the start something felt off. with the ski on the trailer it runs fine I get correct rpms (7500-8000). But when it is in the water It maxes out at 6000-6100 rpm. Acceleration is very slow and there is a very noticeable vibration. Also my wake looks different than my other ski, it makes more of a rooster tail but i don't know if that is relevant or not. I pulled the pump and checked out to see of there was something inside but nothing. Also checked the wear ring but that too look ok.

I would appreciate any help, its mid summer here in ny and i would like to get it running properly before its over.

thank you in advance,
    Tom

+1
    Did you use alignment tool to align the motor?

+1
    what killed your last engine? Did you address the old problems? how is the supercharger?

Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    no i did not use an alignment tool. I was told that it wasn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    what killed your last engine? Did you address the old problems? how is the supercharger?
    super charger blew up and the guys rebuilt it. Then they sold it to me without cleaning out the washers so in due time i spun a rod bearing. rebuilt both oil pumps, new oil cooler, new motor.

+1
    YIKES! Do yourself a favor. Whoever told you that aligning a motor without the alignment tool is not a big deal...don't ask their advise again. So by what mean, if any, did you align that motor? I've seen alignments off so bad one could just look down at the hat and watch as it wobbled about on the carbon seal...can grind away at the splines too. Plus it makes me wonder did you check for driveshaft free play back and forth? You can't just drop a motor in and run it. Not saying this is your problem but needs to be corrected first before chasing anything else or your not going to get anywhere. Did you inspect your mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmlp103 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    no i did not use an alignment tool. I was told that it wasn't a big deal.

7. +1 by:

+1
    if the drive shaft does not have the correct freeplay
    it can destroy the motor by burning up the thrust bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Ken62465 View Post
    YIKES! Do yourself a favor. Whoever told you that aligning a motor without the alignment tool is not a big deal...don't ask their advise again. So by what mean, if any, did you align that motor? I've seen alignments off so bad one could just look down at the hat and watch as it wobbled about on the carbon seal...can grind away at the splines too. Plus it makes me wonder did you check for driveshaft free play back and forth? You can't just drop a motor in and run it. Not saying this is your problem but needs to be corrected first before chasing anything else or your not going to get anywhere. Did you inspect your mounts?
    I looked at the mounts and they seem okay but I also do not know what to look for. As far as what I did was just drop the new motor in and replaced the front mount after install. I also do not know how to check the free play of the drive shaft. Could you explain to me how to do that? I still have the pump off the ski. I know the tools are expensive. Do you think I should get them or just have the dealer do it so I can have a quick turn around.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Okay how would I check that

Thank you

+1
    So you replaced the front mount and dropped in a new mount..no alignment? NO GOOD..start over.

I test back and forth play with no hat...no accordion boot...just driveshaft installed and bolt on pump..check driveshaft for back/forth play. I like about 3/8. That will get you your back/forth then you need the alignment tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmlp103 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Okay how would I check that

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information